Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How to survive Freshers week

+Chimpy++Chimpy+ Deactivated Posts: 37 Boards Initiate
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi there,

It's getting towards the end of September and it's the time of year when loads of you head-off to university or college for the start of term.

Lifetracks.com (our work, study & training website) has got some useful advice and a video about surviving university freshers week. We've tried to cover as much as possible but there's so much more advice you can offer...

So if you've previously been to, or are already at university or college, what advice would you give to those heading off for the first time? ... And what mistakes did you make in your first term? :chin:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Chat to everyone you can. Even people you might not normally chat to. Everyones in the same boat and everyone is looking to make new friends.
    1. Milk goes off
    2. Milk smells when it goes off
    3. Don't miss tutorials or fail to study, you will regret it pretty quickly. Remember, you'll never look back and wish you'd drunk more.
    Fresher's week is all about carnage. Make sure you go to as many of the events that are organised by the students' union. It is the best way to make friends, and of course, also be friendly with your flatmates. When you first meet, offer to make them a cup of tea. Keep plenty of cereal and milk to beat the hangovers :-) I'm so jealous of everyone who is starting this year.
    keep up with your work from the word go and make good notes after lectures so that when you come to revise you can get on with it straight away.

smile and say hello to everyone.

try to keep the work/fun balance.
    drink water.
    although alcohol is good too, a glass of water here and there won't go amiss!
    *hyperventilates*
    There is a girl atm who is getting stupidly drunk every night and then literally hangs off random guys eating their faces off, and it is just so ugly to watch. Don't be her :thumb:
    Stock up on cold and flu medication for the following week, 'cos if you hammer it for 1/2 weeks straight (and possibly snog a few people) you WILL get freshers' flu!

I turned up late to every lecture in the first week. It probably doesn't set a good impression, so try and remember to set your alarm before you go out the night before, and write down where your lectures are and how to find them.

If anything romantic happens with your flatmates, bear in mind you will have to live with them for the rest of the year - and possibly the following two!

On a similar note, try to get to know as many people as possible, but don't worry too much if you can't get on with a flatmate. You will have to start looking for 2nd-year houses arond Christmas time, so bear in mind you should at least try and make a couple of mates.
    Stock up on cold and flu medication for the following week, 'cos if you hammer it for 1/2 weeks straight (and possibly snog a few people) you WILL get freshers' flu!

Yeah deffo. You're pretty much guaranteed to get freshers flu whatever happens so do this!

Looking back on my freshers week i wish i had joined more societies. They had a great social side to things and you'd meet loads of people through that!
    If anything romantic happens with your flatmates, bear in mind you will have to live with them for the rest of the year - and possibly the following two!

A hallmate of mine was seeing a girlfriend from one of the other flats. She was also seeing someone else. Because 2 other girl in the flat and I were friends with both of these people, it got really annoying. They kept falling out.

Don't leave work until the last minute. And sort out a routine. when it comes to deadlines, you will have to work a lot more.
    MoK wrote: »
    3. Don't miss tutorials or fail to study, you will regret it pretty quickly. Remember, you'll never look back and wish you'd drunk more.

:no: Not true at all.
    eeek, im so excited! thanks guys :)
    Watch out for meningitis. A girl at my uni died of it in my first year. Agree about Freshers Flu. That shit is completely dehabilitating. Stock up on drugs.
    :no: Not true at all.

Really? I don't know anyone who has regretted not drinking enough, but plenty of people who wish they'd studied more.
    Watch out for meningitis. A girl at my uni died of it in my first year. Agree about Freshers Flu. That shit is completely dehabilitating. Stock up on drugs.

Somehow I don't know anyone who got Freshers Flu. The first week of term, I ended up with a viral skin disease.

On the subject of meningitis, make sure you're up to date with your vaccinations.
    I didn't get freshers' flu but I did get a flu near Christmas time towards the end of my 1st semester. That's pretty common.
    First year I was fine. Second year I was manning a stall at Freshers' Fair for two days. I then spent the next two days in bed feeling like death warmed up.
    if you dont click with the first person you meet and are friendly with. dont panic. everything starts to fall into place as the weeks go on and you will find your own little group of friends. still be friendly to the first people you meet. no one likes a knob :p