Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Pot calling kettle black shock!

Baroness Greenfield criticises 'Taliban-like' Stephen Hawking

Physicists like Professor Stephen Hawking who claim God has no place in the creation of the Universe are behaving like the Taliban in trying to shut down freedom of discussion, according to Baroness Greenfield the former head of the Royal Institution.

Lady Greenfield, former head of the Royal Institution and current professor of synaptic pharmacology at Lincoln College, Oxford, criticised the "smugness" of scientists who claim to “have all the answers”.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/stephen-hawking/7988785/Baroness-Greenfield-criticises-Taliban-like-Stephen-Hawking.html

Unlike the likes of Christianity or Islam, of course.

Unbefuckinglievable :D
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    "Terrorist" and "Taliban-like" really are the new communism. Just another insult to hurl at people you disagree with, whether the comparison makes sense or not.
    Taliban-like?

Wasn't their view based on religious doctrine. Like hers is...
    Not a good choice of words, but her general thrust is right that science at the level she and Hawkings work at is provisional and doesn't have all the answers.

There is a more worrying trend, however, is that if someone in a live interview uses a word or phrase which can be criticised the media will jump all over it, in the certain and gleeful knowledge that some people will start screaming and crying and not bother with the real story. It's mischief making and really makes me wish I had decided to become a journo after all...
    I myself don't care that much about the Taleban comment. Rather that the school of thought that does believe god exists and created the Universe, i.e. organised religion, has during its entire existence categorically stated without any consideration for doubt or alternative views that their view is the ultimate and final Truth and not open to question. And until very recently, and indeed still currently in some places, all too prepared to dish out violence to those who dare question it.

For someone to now say a science man is arrogant for simply (and very midly) taking a leaf out of organised religion's book by making a statement is as big an instance of shameless hypocrisy as anyone is ever likely to find.
    It could just be your phrasing, but you are aware she is one of the UK top scientists herself as you make her sound like she's the Archbishop of Canterbury instead of a scientist criticising another scientists work
    She might be a scientist, but I suspect was not speaking in that capacity when she made those comments. In any case, under her own reasoning every major religion in the world must also be 'Taliban-like'. Which I suspect she would never have the balls- or be willing- to say
    Not a good choice of words, but her general thrust is right that science at the level she and Hawkings work at is provisional and doesn't have all the answers.

There is a more worrying trend, however, is that if someone in a live interview uses a word or phrase which can be criticised the media will jump all over it, in the certain and gleeful knowledge that some people will start screaming and crying and not bother with the real story. It's mischief making

+1
    and really makes me wish I had decided to become a journo after all...

-14 (words)

Forget pots and kettles that would be akin to frying pans and fires ;)
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Rather that the school of thought that does believe god exists and created the Universe, i.e. organised religion,

The two are not synonymous.
    He isn't claiming to have all of the answers, merely stating that this is yet another area where the explanation can exist independently of any idea of a god (which of course has been true of any genuine scientific explanation in history). It's just that this one happens to explain how the universe as we currently know it began. The religious of course don't like the idea of god being superfluous, but when it comes to any area of genuine knowledge, it's always the case. It is of course unnecessary therefore for a scientist to really mention it, but on the other hand, we are now talking about his new book.
    He isn't claiming to have all of the answers, merely stating that this is yet another area where the explanation can exist independently of any idea of a god (which of course has been true of any genuine scientific explanation in history). It's just that this one happens to explain how the universe as we currently know it began. The religious of course don't like the idea of god being superfluous, but when it comes to any area of genuine knowledge, it's always the case. It is of course unnecessary therefore for a scientist to really mention it, but on the other hand, we are now talking about his new book.

Did you mean "attempts to" ?
    Did you mean "attempts to" ?

LOLZ, both religion and science "attempt" to provide explanations, so they both must be the same!
    Let folk believe what they want to, as long as they don't ram it down other's throats or they lack tolerance for any other 'answers'..

Personally, I can't see the appeal of a hippy carpenter type or whatever he was, taking some fish and chip butties and feeding a billion people....
    That's just my opinion though, and I am entitled to it!!!!!
    Gotta keep freedom of speech as exactly that, shouldn't be scared of offended every other fucker in the world.....
    I don't mean to offend anyone, if they take offence, it's their problem not mine.