Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Driving long distances

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I wasn't really sure where to put this, but seeing as technically it is travelling I went with here.

For any of those with some car knowledge...

Next weekend, I'm planning to drive 130 miles for a long weekend, that's 130 miles each way, so 260 in total. I've never driven this far before, but I love driving so am looking forward it. However, my car is over 10years old now, needs a new cam belt and is only a little 1.2 engine. It's never let me down in the past. But this journey is motorway most of the time, and I'm worried that it might be all too much for it. What do people think? I could get the train alternatively, but I like driving. I just know motorway recovery costs a bomb, and I can't afford for it to break. Are long distances in a little, old car sensible?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I drove long distances in my old 1.2 corsa and was fine. I'd suggest keep your speed to 65/70. Do you have breakdown cover? If so keep that number with you
    130 miles is not that long a distance really. Motorway driving is generally easier on an engine than city driving, becaus it tends to be long stints in a high gear.
    are you not planning on getting your cam belt replaced?

i have a baby 0.998 engine and mine manages to drive fine on the motorway. i drive on the motorway everyday. i only do 35 miles a day though. HOWEVER, i have driven 200 miles down south in it before and driven 200 miles back up north. it was fine. no problems at all. my car is slightly younger than yours though. mine is 7 years old but i think thats quite old for a car!

i wouldn't worry about it. i would get your cam belt changed though. if that goes, your car is a gonna!
    Oh yea I do intend to get it changed this year, it's just something I've not got round to yet, it's a pretty big job. But yea, I know it'd wreck my engine if it went. Well this all sounds encouraging :) I'm just always quite cautious with cars, as I can't really afford not to be! I guess it's ok occasionally, but if I was doing this journey more regularly I'd need to be thinking of getting a better car. Ohhh for a 2L golf gti!
    i regularly used to drive my 13 yrold fiesta from hants to essex- about 2/3 hours each way mostly M25! it's done pretty damn well :)
    ohhh and it's a 1.3 and couldnt really do over 90mph hehe