Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

UK City Breaks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Where is good to go for a city break in the UK? We live in London. We might go to Edinburgh soon too. Where else is good for a romantic getaway that won't break the bank?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    does it need to be a city?

me and my boyfriend had a lovely weekend away in the lake district a while back.
    dubblin is a great city.

so is cardiff
    Well we don't have a car so somewhere that's easy enough to get to and get around without one!

We going to go to Brighton as well.
    If you enjoy beaches, castles and scenery then Alnwick in Northumberland is a fantastic spot. The Harry Potter films were shot at Alnwick Castle..
    The whole of Northumberland is beautiful though.

Tony
    Thanks for all your suggestions guys.

So far we have booked Brighton in October and Dublin in January. I think I'm going to go to Edinburgh with friends now instead of with my boyfriend.

Will keep the other suggestions in mind for the future! :d
    oohhh, i forgot about dublin.

i went there in jan with my fella. be warned though, it is VERY expensive. the amount i spent in 3 days could have paid for a weekend abroad.
    oohhh, i forgot about dublin.

i went there in jan with my fella. be warned though, it is VERY expensive. the amount i spent in 3 days could have paid for a weekend abroad.

The hotel we booked was like E114 for three nights and it looks really good! Been researching restaurants for my birthday meal as my birthday falls in the middle of the visit and they do look a bit more expensive than London.

We just got back from a summer holiday in Cyprus and we found that was pretty expensive (I think as lots of things are imported to the island).
    yeah, we got a good deal on our hotel too and got super cheap flights.

when we got there though, it was just so so expensive because we have a weak pound.
    yeah, we got a good deal on our hotel too and got super cheap flights.

when we got there though, it was just so so expensive because we have a weak pound.

Well thanks for the warning :)
    ha, although it is expensive, it is a lovely place!

i'd recommend buying a dublin pass. thats what me and my boyfriend did and we got to visit lots of places. we also used it to go into the guiness factory every day for our free pint, haha! :D
    I was looking at that today! Think I'm going to start a Dublin thread...
    Newcastle :) It's easy to get around as it has the Metro and decent buses. It's not far from the coast or the countryside. The town centre is relatively easy to get around on foot.
    Bath
    dubblin is a great city.

so is cardiff

You have got to be joking, Dublin is an absolutely shocking city, ugly and overrated. It's not in the UK anyway.

London is the only city in the UK worth discussing, but it's not cheap as we all know.
    I live in London so wouldn't come here for a holiday, lol!
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    Thanks for all your suggestions guys.

So far we have booked Brighton in October and Dublin in January. I think I'm going to go to Edinburgh with friends now instead of with my boyfriend.

Will keep the other suggestions in mind for the future! :d

Hiya I went brighton last sept and just got back from Dublin u will love both these places, another which is really lovely is York, or cambridge very quaint with old buildings and colleges and shopping is super also x
    I'm going to Cambridge next weekend! To stay with a friend who is at university there.

Been in Oxford last night until today but didn't see much - just the pub and the club and mates house.
    Have fun in Cambridge its lovely, i want to go oxford its not that far from me i pretty central so nothing is far really x
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    The hotel we booked was like E114 for three nights and it looks really good! Been researching restaurants for my birthday meal as my birthday falls in the middle of the visit and they do look a bit more expensive than London.

We just got back from a summer holiday in Cyprus and we found that was pretty expensive (I think as lots of things are imported to the island).

I know that feeling, i spent over 500 quid on three days in ramsgate...

We could of spent a week in spain :lol:
    Cambridge is nice, theres a church in the town centre which is £2 to take the small narrow staircase to the roof of the building but its worth it for the views, its also worth keeping an eye out for the busker who plays his guitar out of a bin :d
    I'm from the Brighton area so obviously I will sing it's praises! It is a great city though, and it's close to London too so isn't a big mish getting there for you.

I'm currently living in Leeds and I think it's fucking awesome. Great shopping, almost like a mini London in that aspect. The city centre is very attractive and the nightlife is immense. Loads of good restaurants and bars e.t.c around Headingley. But I reckon York is probably more romantic, I'm going there next wednesday for the day.