Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

spam on the website

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in Help Desk
this is not a complaint, but it's just something i want to bring up.

i think the level of spam on this website is extremely high.

when i logged in today, almost every thread at the top was some kind of advert.

i was wondering if you guys were aware, and if so what were you thinking of doing about it.

maybe ading a spam filter or something.

this is a great site, a very good one (probably the best layout of a site i've seen in a long time) i think it's just ashame that the spam is spoiling the experience for so many people.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    It's a recent phenomenon. There used to only be rarely up until a few days ago.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i dont think so indrid, spammers like that have been happening for months! not just a few days. it is highly annoying.

i spoke to helen a couple of weeks ago and they are aware of it and are trying to do something about it :)
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    :yes: we have all the usual spam prevention stuff in place - these are manual accounts with people working on comission to boost seo - very sucky :grump:

However, I have a master plan... more on it next week. :d
    Not 'that' much of a problem though, for us users. You see a spam reply, you report it. Nextin a mod signs in it's gone. Simples
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Not 'that' much of a problem though, for us users. You see a spam reply, you report it. Nextin a mod signs in it's gone. Simples

ii think its annoying cos sometimes i come on and think ooh lots of new posts to read when its realy just 3 new posts and 20 threads brought up with a spam post at the end, thank goodness you can see who last posted in the thread so you can usually tell if its spam.
    i dont think so indrid, spammers like that have been happening for months! not just a few days. it is highly annoying.

i spoke to helen a couple of weeks ago and they are aware of it and are trying to do something about it :)

that's good to hear. :heart:

i don't mind 1 or 2, but loads of pointless spam messages at once is a total ruin for the rest of us
    It reminds me of World of Warcraft. In the first year I played it, there was no spam at all. 18 months later, the mail box and chat channels were blighted by gold sellers. (people who ilegally sell in-game currency for real money).

Helen, can the bulletin board filter include blacklisted web addresses? So even when a manual account bypasses the CAPTCHA etc, the filter will smell a rat as soon as a blacklisted URL is picked up. A bit like a HOSTs file but for the bulletin board. I don't know if it exists though.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I meant it's been so much in the last few days. Before that it seemed to be much fewer.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Monserrat wrote: »
    It reminds me of World of Warcraft. In the first year I played it, there was no spam at all. 18 months later, the mail box and chat channels were blighted by gold sellers. (people who ilegally sell in-game currency for real money).

Helen, can the bulletin board filter include blacklisted web addresses? So even when a manual account bypasses the CAPTCHA etc, the filter will smell a rat as soon as a blacklisted URL is picked up. A bit like a HOSTs file but for the bulletin board. I don't know if it exists though.

Yes it can - but most spammers just use gmail or another generic webmail.
  • emilyjohnemilyjohn Posts: 23 Boards Initiate
    I think spam is not allow on any website, but number of spammers use gmail or other unauthorized webmail.
    emilyjohn wrote: »
    I think spam is not allow on any website, but number of spammers use gmail or other unauthorized webmail.

As maybe, but the mods zapp 'em all. :d