Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Another government minister comes out as gay...

First it was David Laws. Now it's Crispin Blunt:

"Conservative minister Crispin Blunt has disclosed that he is gay and has separated from his wife. Mr Blunt, who is prisons minister in the coalition government, said he had 'decided to come to terms with his homosexuality'. In a statement, he said the move was 'difficult' for his family and hoped for their 'understanding and support'.

I've noticed the usual suspects are out giving supportive messages to Blunt - Iain Dale, presumably with an eye on getting his next media apperance, has already published a puff piece on the subject on his blog, for example. Pardon me for not swallowing this drivel. So, Blunt has "decided to come to terms with his homosexuality", has he? And he's trying to tell us with a straight (no pun intended) face it has nothing to do with allegations that a Sunday newspaper was about to do an exposé? How else can the timing of this announcement - 4pm on a Friday afternoon - be explained?

As for being "difficult", don't expect any sympathy from me on that front either. I might be old-fashioned in this respect, but I certainly don't think this is a valid excuse for lying to your wife and to your family. I have huge sympathy for your wife right now - you, however, deserve none whatsoever.

Here come the flames...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I dont think this is news worthy, worth discussion on thesite, but not worthy of national wide media publication.
  • Options
    G wrote: »
    I dont think this is news worthy, worth discussion on thesite, but not worthy of national wide media publication.

Is it even worth discussion here?

Man who happens to be a politician comes out as gay. This isn't the 50's.
  • Options
    I think its sad that people of his generation felt so unable to be open about their sexuality a freedom that we take for granted these days.
    I do feel sorry for his wife and family of course he has been living a lie and involving them all these years the feeling of shock and betrayal must be awful.

Maybe back then he really had no choice but hide his true self but trying to build an acceptable middle class life around others is not fair and he should be ashamed.

Not to mention of course that i assume this has come out now because he has been caught out so on top of everything he has been unfaithful.

I have personal and painful experiance of how hard it can be to be open about your own feelings so although what he has done is wrong on many levels i for one will not be judging him and i hope the press will leave him and his family alone so that they can go on and rebuild their lives.

Does anyone really care these days who is gay or straight this is a personal matter that the press will enjoy turning into a scandal at the expense of his poor wife no doubt.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Is it even worth discussion here?

Man who happens to be a politician comes out as gay. This isn't the 50's.

It is, ie why has something like that even been posted in here.

Well not really that, but why the media think being gay is news worthy?
  • Options
    I don't think it really matters what his sexual orientation is, he's still a Tory.
  • Options
    It is, ie why has something like that even been posted in here.

Well not really that, but why the media think being gay is news worthy?
    Might be news worthy to them because of the whole "Tories hate gays, actually no they don't, look, they have gays in their cabinet!". You know how the media works.
  • Options
    Crispin Blunt. An MP with a record for voting against gay rights and who once said that homosexuality is "not equivalent to heterosexuality".

Who said politicians are hypocrites?
  • Options
    I don't see the hypocrisy MoK.
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    I don't see the hypocrisy MoK.

I don't understand Big Gay
  • Options

*agreed*
  • Options
    Louisek wrote: »
    I don't understand Big Gay

I read MoK's comment as suggesting Blunt was a hypocrite for voting against gay "privileges" and stating homosexuality is "not equivalent to heterosexuality".
  • Options
    I don't see that someone's personal life is anyone else's business, whether they're an MP, a footballer, or the guy who serves you in Burger King. I'm not sure I could care any less what flavour of human this fella prefers.

He didn't do anything illegal. This is not news.
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    I read MoK's comment as suggesting Blunt was a hypocrite for voting against gay "privileges" and stating homosexuality is "not equivalent to heterosexuality".
    'Rights' and 'privileges' are different things.

Anyone who votes against legislation governing gay rights and subsequently comes out as gay can safely be regarded as a hypocrite.
  • Options
    My point being he doesn't see things such as marriage as rights, but privileges.

but even so, there's no hypocrisy in voting against gay rights while being gay - provided one doesn't use ministerial privileges to obtain those rights for oneself.
  • Options
    Depends on the reason why you don't vote for those rights though.

If you claim that homosexuality isn't equivalent (hence why rights should be different), whilst engaging in both, then IMHO you are a hypocrite.
  • Options
    I might as well use this thread to talk about William Hague, who has had to make a bizarre statement denying he's gay.

While rumours about Hague have apparently existed for many years, this latest issue was instigated by a blogger much favoured by stargalaxy, Guido Fawkes, who frankly has always come across as a vindictive, self-regarding piece of shit to me.

The Guardian has a good piece about the story and the media reaction so far: http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/blog/2010/sep/02/william-hague-shaming-day-for-fleet-street-michael-white?CMP=twt_gu

I frankly don't care one bit if Hague is gay or not, but if he was that would certainly make him the mother of all hypocrites, for there have been few fiercer campaigners against gay equality in the Commons in the last decade.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I frankly don't care one bit if Hague is gay or not, but if he was that would certainly make him the mother of all hypocrites, for there have been few fiercer campaigners against gay equality in the Commons in the last decade.

Eh? Fiercer? He never showed up for almost all the votes and is described by the LGF as 'moderately against' homosexual equal rights. Hardly Ian Duncan Smith.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Eh? Fiercer? He never showed up for almost all the votes and is described by the LGF as 'moderately against' homosexual equal rights. Hardly Ian Duncan Smith.
    He rallied very hard against the rejection of Section 28, which makes him a cunt in my book- and if this allegations were to be true, a hypocritical one at that.
  • Options
    It isn't true therefore he isn't a hypocrite.

And Guido is a complete wanker, based on this. Apparently, it isn't possible to share a hotel room with another male without it being part of an affair.

What annoys me just as much is those whom have suggested that Hague was "naive" to think that this wouldn't cause problems. Seriously, some people need to take a long hard look at themselves.