Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

G's new title

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    does that mean one day you'll get a flesh light?
    No I will never buy one, I told you its cheaper to do it yourself.

Even better if you get someone to do it for you, you offering Evenstar? Thought not, jog on then :yum:
    :naughty:
    ok, how do i make a poll now? :blush:
    You have to post a new thread and select the create a poll option.
    sigh...
    nevermind :p
    Evenstar wrote: »
    Since G's legendary chapter has now reopened, he needs a new personal title thingy (someone'll come along with the proper name soon).
    He's re-opened his chapter more times than I've had hot dinners. He'll bugger off again soon, then turn up when he sees some more miscreants causing trouble for TheSite :p

You should do these polls for more members of the board.
    stargalaxy wrote: »

You should do these polls for more members of the board.

Feel free to think of something for me. (To anyone)
    So when is it exactly that they give you a personal name thingy?!(i don't know what they're called! :blush: )
    So when is it exactly that they give you a personal name thingy?!(i don't know what they're called! :blush: )

I think it's called custom title or something like that. If you PM one of the mods like Helen with a title you'd like, they might be able to honour that :-) I'm not sure if there's a minimum post count needed.
    Monserrat wrote: »
    I think it's called custom title or something like that. If you PM one of the mods like Helen with a title you'd like, they might be able to honour that :-) I'm not sure if there's a minimum post count needed.
    As far as I know, there isn't. However, mods are generally reluctant to change them often, so make sure you're happy with your choice before submitting any request to have it changed.

They really should be allowing us to change them ourselves, with a block put in place if people are being naughty, i.e. using them as a way of insulting other users. Should also be allowed to delete our own posts.

Won't happen, though. The mods don't trust us.
    When I first signed up 8 years ago, we were allowed to set our own titles once you hit a few hundred posts. I understand why it got taken away because people were using it too often. SG, I like your idea of having a 'cooldown' period once you've used it so that you don't abuse it.
    Monserrat wrote: »
    When I first signed up 8 years ago, we were allowed to set our own titles once you hit a few hundred posts. I understand why it got taken away because people were using it too often. SG, I like your idea of having a 'cooldown' period once you've used it so that you don't abuse it.
    Well, not quite. My view is that people should be allowed to change their custom titles themselves without needing to go through a moderator to do it. That right should only be taken away if somebody used their title for negative purposes, such as writing something libellious or something that was insulting or offensive towards another user. For example, if somebody used "Stargalaxy is a miserable cunt" as their custom title, then that would be sufficient grounds for their right to change the title being removed for, say, a month. Although in that particular case, the statement is not one I could especially disagree with.

As for the delete feature, I also remember those days well. It was removed back in 2005. Jim V repeatedly made a politician's promise to review it to see whether the feature could be brought back, but it never happened. Some people still believe to this day that I'm to blame for the delete feature being taken away. It's just one of the myths from TheSite history.

My six year anniversary on TheSite is coming up in two weeks, so excuse the nostalgia. Where everyone else is dropping off, I seem to be thriving. I sometimes feel like the sole survivor after a nuclear bomb was dropped.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Well, not quite. My view is that people should be allowed to change their custom titles themselves without needing to go through a moderator to do it.

I agree! I used to post on a forum where you had to ask permission to change your title and avatar and the mods would do it for you. I think I pissed off one of them and got daffy duck as my avatar.:lol::blush:
    Melian wrote: »
    I agree! I used to post on a forum where you had to ask permission to change your title and avatar and the mods would do it for you. I think I pissed off one of them and got daffy duck as my avatar.:lol::blush:
    Back in the day, there was a word filter in place on TheSite as well, to stop us saying racist words like "nigger" or to stop us using the word "cunt". It was eventually removed officially on the grounds that TheSite believes in free speech. And unofficially, because everyone knew ways of getting round the swear filters anyway.

There was an incident once where Kermit suggested to the moderators it would be a good idea to put in a random word into the filter. Jim V responded - by putting Kermit's name in it. :p