Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

New fish with Old Fish?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've got a fish and I was talking to my mum about getting a new fish and she says everytime she puts a new fish in with an old fish the old fish always dies...
Then she told me to google it, but I can't really find anything helpful, so does anyone know if my old fish will die if I put a new one into the tank?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It shouldn't do unless its a poiseness deadly one like the spiky big fish but another gold fish wont kill the one you have it should be cool.
    By the way what movies does your mum watch x
    Movies? :S what difference would that make?
    She did say when you put in a new fish witth a old fiish the old one dies where did she get that from?
    My old fish never died when i put new ones in. The new ones did becuase the old one would eat them D:
    But we gave our two away and they went into a tank with other fish and they are all still alive. :)
    She did say when you put in a new fish witth a old fiish the old one dies where did she get that from?

From personal experience :)
    My old fish never died when i put new ones in. The new ones did becuase the old one would eat them D:
    But we gave our two away and they went into a tank with other fish and they are all still alive. :)

Oh haha, well I'll tell her that it won't ;)
    Thanks!
    Let us know about the results :)
    bleepy wrote: »
    Oh haha, well I'll tell her that it won't ;)
    Thanks!

disclaimer: if any fish die, naun is not to blame :p

Haha mine did that too. My fish moved into the fish tank at school and then when other people brought in some of their fish, my fish ate all the little fish. oops.

Just give it a try bleepy, if the old fish does die, at least you still have a fish :d Not that it would be good for the old fish to die...
    maybe it's more likely to die because of the risk of cross infection? the only thing you can do really is get your fish from a reputable petshop and look out for any signs it might be ill. really obvious ones are a limp fin. kinda gross but check the top of the tank you choose your fishy from for any dead fish lying on top. that could be a sign of sick little fishies in that tank.