Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Language software

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Not sure if this should be under education or what so feel free to move if necessary.

Has anybody used one? I'm thinking of attempting a second language. I've been looking all day (I really need a different job :p) and there are pros and cons of every one I read. I'm always skeptical of online reviews, you never know who is writing them and who they work for. So does anybody on here have any reccomendations? I already work full time in the day and go to school at night most days of the week so going to a class isn't really an option and I have confidence I would have the discipline to learn on my own.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have you used it? I'm aware of that one and many others. I was looking for personal experiences as opposed to the reviews, whether real or fabricated, that I find online.
    What language were you hoping to learn?
    Yeah you only get what you put into it with learning a new language, especially with the software which is pretty obvious i guess. I've always found actually being able to talk to another person in that language while you learn is a big big bonus. You got any friends who speak the language you wanna learn?
    GoodFella wrote: »
    I've always found actually being able to talk to another person in that language while you learn is a big big bonus. You got any friends who speak the language you wanna learn?

:yes:
    Since I can barely grasp the English language I was thinking of going for something easy sounding like German :p I've run into a couple of my professors who speak it but nobody I would be able to have a conversation with.
    My friend's mum is speaks fairly competent Spanish from RS.

(Btw, German is an awful lot more difficult than French, Spanish and Italian.)
    grace wrote: »
    My friend's mum is speaks fairly competent Spanish from RS.

(Btw, German is an awful lot more difficult than French, Spanish and Italian.)

For real? I'd say the opposite. But *shrug*
    For real? I'd say the opposite. But *shrug*

Different for different people I guess, but I've tried to learn them all, and never got anywhere with German, even though I know Latin.
    Find a language-swap buddy on gumtree and watch loads of movies in your chosen language (with english subtitles). Immerse yourself in the language.
    I got a free 6 lesson thing from Rocket Language but havn't bothered to open it yet... I guess I take back my "I have the dicipline for it" Couldn't say that with a straight face.