Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

withdrawing from effexor (3rd time lucky?)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so after a year (last years attempt was terrible!) I'm ready to try reducing my effexor again. I think that i've found a pretty good method on the internets, so i'll post it and then update you all on progress :)

http://abchomeopathy.com/forum2.php/102450

So, i'm now on the extended release capsules, which makes it easier to split, and these people on the link seem to have had more success than anywhere else i've read.

here goes!:eek:

Comments

• Options
    When was the last time you had any symptoms that your Effexor is treating? I think current thinking is that if you have had severe or recurrent mental health problems it is best to continue anti-depressants for 6months post symptoms. Just something to think about as withdrawing too early could be setting yourself up for relapse.

Good luck with it though, I'm not trying to dissuade you, just food for thought.
  • Options
    Good luck, it's a horrible drug to come off.
  • Options
    Katralla- thanks for posting that, it's a good thought for people who will think of withdrawal. i've been on this drug since 2007, it was used after an episode of severe depression and it was brilliant back then.
    I've recently been through some stress, but this was short term and reactionary (and treated successfully with anti psychotics)

this will be my 3rd time trying to withdraw-
    1) didn't make it past 37.5mg, horrible withdrawal effects (mostly impulsive self harm/anxiety. yuk)
    2) all mixed up with a severe attack of sciatica/sensitivity to codeine, after this my dose was upped *gah*
    3) dose was upped this year again, but i feel stable enough to try again, i am *SIcK* of relying on this damn drug. The worst side effect (if i forget a pill) is emotional instability (something akin to PMS) and impulsiveness/low mood and feeling really unbalanced (like being on a kids roundabout when i move my head to look at something)

Thanks BG, i'll need the help!
  • Options
    I don't have anything helpful to say but good luck x
  • Options
    Thanks Grace :)
  • Options
    How's this going Skakitty? Hope it proves easier for you this time round *hug*