Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Urgent for attention of moderators

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
http://desilot.com/forums/members/desikudi.html

This user on that site appears to be posting lots of threads that appear on site, I dont know if this is a user that is copying posts, or if it is a security issue. It is a lot of threads by a few users.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's possible that it's automated on there as they've posted loads of spam too. It's all a bit weird at the moment though.
    lea_uk wrote: »
    It's possible that it's automated on there as they've posted loads of spam too. It's all a bit weird at the moment though.

:yes: if you look through just that user's posts, all of our new threads appear in the order they did here, even this one :mad: It's only the first post but still. :mad:
    Where did you find the site?
    I think it's copied and pasted because who could have thought of the same poem as mine it was made up!
    Not copied and pasted, I think it is automated.

Perhaps thesite.org should block that domain.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey guys,

Just wanted to give everyone an update on this. Basically it does seem like it's an automated thing and so our next step is to get our technical guru to see if he can work out exactly how it's working (might be pulled from RSS feed for instance) and from there we can work out what we can potentially to do to protect TheSite.org from this kind of thing.

In the meantime, I know it's horrible and frustrating to see your own thread duplicated in another forum and I guess it's good at least that it doesn't seem to be a proper community of people responding and there don't seem to be any of TheSite usernames linked to the duplicate threads.

Having said that - I'm not saying you shouldn't rant or feel annoyed about it. The internet can throw up some weird things and this is definitely frustrating!

I'll keep everyone posted on this.

Cheers,
    Helen
    i don't get it, what am i looking at?
    http://desilot.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3422

If you look through all the threads this user has posted, most of them are pulled from thesite.
    The link I posted it to a users profile on another forum. This [automated] user appears to be making a new post everytime a new thread is made on thesite.org.

Only the first post is recreated, however a hell of a lot of recent threads have had the OP's post copied.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    G wrote: »
    The link I posted it to a users profile on another forum. This user appears to be making a new post everytime a new thread is made on thesite.org.

But I reckon that's a hack, not convinced that's someone actually sitting there recreating new threads constantly... do you think?
    **helen** wrote: »
    But I reckon that's a hack, not convinced that's someone actually sitting there recreating new threads constantly... do you think?

This user [account] would have been appropriate :)
    Another first-class scoop from G...
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Another first-class scoop from G...

I leave the politics to you ;)
    It's obviously a hack of some kind. There nearly 5000 members with mostly ridiculous user names (e.g. Aaa Aaa, aaaa766, aaaaa, aaadddkkk etc) so it looks like 'Desikudi' is trying to make the site look more popular than it really is.

The test will be this thread, of course. If it appears, its a bot of some kind. If it doesn't, some sad person has nothing better to do with their time. :)
    Teagan wrote: »

The test will be this thread, of course. If it appears, its a bot of some kind. If it doesn't, some sad person has nothing better to do with their time. :)

This thread appeared there last night!
    if you look here you can see all the threads the mod has posted - 80%spam 20%ours
    G wrote: »
    I leave the politics to you ;)
    New Labour are spying on us!

:p
    Evenstar wrote: »
    This thread appeared there last night!
    if you look here you can see all the threads the mod has posted - 80%spam 20%ours

LMAO!
    I like how despite that many "threads" that nobody ever replies.
    That site hurts everything I know about web design.
    Strangely enough, if you go to the top-level domain, http://desilot.com it says page not found.
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Strangely enough, if you go to the top-level domain, http://desilot.com it says page not found.
    I noticed that yesterday.
    The whole forum seems a bit weird.
    Monserrat wrote: »

It loads for a second or two, but then forwards onto something which is non findable.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    All a bit fishy.
    Might be to pull in visits/page views. Afterall they have advertisements.
    The listed owner of the domain has also advertised looking for people to go and post messages on the board and other boards, saying how mint the place is.
    It appears the offending website has now been removed :)
    Teagan wrote: »

Wont load for me
    did for me
    e/ damn, I said I wasn't going to post a new thread till it was sorted, and I just did. Oh well.
    Hmm,

I wonder why.
    I think they might have blocked my IP address, if I anonymise my IP, it works again for me :)