Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Wtf

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I didn't address your points because I didn't feel the need. You have made an assumption that I agree with the Saudi's treatment of criminals. I don't. My argument is that we have absolutely no right to intefere in the domestic policies of a sovereign nation.

You took the 'comme ci comme ca' stance in the first post I responded to. And you don’t seem to think that there’s any way we can distinguish between the barbarity and morality of an action if there are two opposing viewpoints in play; so it seems obvious you’re not going to think that there’s any reason for condemnation if you don’t think it’s possible to distinguish right from wrong action.

I think it's a moral imperative that we show solidarity with the victims of oppression and cruelty at the hands of violent regimes. Now, whether that's with words, sanctions or military action is to be taken on a case-by-case basis, but this "it’s none of my business guv'" approach stinks. We're culpable for the actions we don't take, as well as the ones we do.
    They aren't murdering thousands of people and they aren't manufacturing weapons of mass destruction. The very fact that you think the mass-murder of tens of thousands of people is even the same sport, let alone the same league as chopping the dick off a rapist or cutting a thieve's hand off is laughable.

When did I equate those things? I don’t view it as a binary scenario. It’s a sliding scale and responses have to be proportional.
    Your not giving a fuck doesn't affect the Saudi's entitlement to their own opinions, however you expect them to give a fuck about yours? As I said, for all we know the average Saudi on the street thinks we're a bunch of immoral bastards for letting rapists walk free from prison, the bloke who was paralysed is certainly quite happy to see his attacker have the same done to him, and everything suggests he is just an average bloke.

I don’t expect the Saudi government to give a fuck about my personal opinion, but I do expect them to take notice of international opinion, as I would expect our government to. Maybe the bloke on the street feels like he’s trapped under a barbaric regime, and that the condemnation and support of other nations will help him affect change in his own country.
    jamelia wrote: »
    Seriously, it must be time that God of Schmuck was banned. His incessant talking in riddles and spouting utter bollocks like he's being intelligent and profound are wearing exceptionally thin.

Another person who thinks freedom of speech only applies to people who they are happy to hear...
    Another person who thinks freedom of speech only applies to people who they are happy to hear...

Yeah yeah, whatever.

It's got nothing to do with his viewpoint - it's more the fact that it's impossible to discern what his viewpoint actually is in between all the riddle-me-this nonsense. It's basically trolling. If you can't be fucked to express your opinions clearly and try to defend them, then I don't know why you'd bother posting.
    Yeah yeah, whatever.

It's got nothing to do with his viewpoint - it's more the fact that it's impossible to discern what his viewpoint actually is in between all the riddle-me-this nonsense. It's basically trolling. If you can't be fucked to express your opinions clearly and try to defend them, then I don't know why you'd bother posting.

His viewpoint seems to be a form of political skepticism or extreme libetarianism.

But if you don't like it put him on ignore, don't make calls for him to be banned...
    On the odd occasion I've managed to make sense of his posts, I've discerned some kind of simplistic libertarianism (tautology? quite possibly), and perhaps some basic form of moral nihilism. But most of the time his posts are only one step up from this:

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a gypsy queen
    Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle all dressed in green
    Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle ’til the moon is blue
    Wiggle ’til the moon sees you

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle in your boots and shoes
    Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, you got nothing to lose
    Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a swarm of bees
    Wiggle on your hands and knees

Wiggle to the front, wiggle to the rear
    Wiggle ’til you wiggle right out of here
    Wiggle ’til it opens, wiggle ’til it shuts
    Wiggle ’til it bites, wiggle ’til it cuts

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
    Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
    Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
    Wiggle—you can raise the dead

Wiggle ’til you’re high, wiggle ’til you’re higher
    Wiggle ’til you vomit fire
    Wiggle ’til it whispers, wiggle ’til it hums
    Wiggle ’til it answers, wiggle ’til it comes

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like satin and silk
    Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a pail of milk
    Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, rattle and shake
    Wiggle like a big fat snake

Say it quietly and no-one may notice what you are doing.

I think it's pretty trollish and onboxious. He's not trying to debate, he's trying to come across as a smartarse (and incidentally, failing dramatically, but that's by the by). If he wants to derail every thread with his pointless waffle then that's his call, but it is trolling.
    Seriously, it must be time that God of Schmuck was banned. His incessant talking in riddles and spouting utter bollocks like he's being intelligent and profound are wearing exceptionally thin.
    Yes, how DARE he have a different view to the almighty Jamelia?

Off with his head!
    stargalaxy wrote: »

Off with his head!

Yes, of course, you're right, that's exactly what I said.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    His viewpoint seems to be a form of political skepticism or extreme libetarianism.

But if you don't like it put him on ignore, don't make calls for him to be banned...

:yes: to be fair, public calls for banning aren't really welcome regardless of the situation. There are plenty of ways to get in touch with us privately if you are feeling strongly about someone. Anywho, I'll take a deeper look into all of this tomorrow. :)

Off with his head!

He'd have to have a view in order to have a differing one. But don't let the details get in the way of a juicy, gross misrepresentation.

Thanks for the compliment ;)
    perhaps some basic form of moral nihilism

My maligning of immorality position has not changed.

But enough of me, CCH's wiggling and Jamelia's ad hominems. . . . back to the thread anyone ?

But enough of me, CCH's wiggling and Jamelia's ad hominems. . . . back to the thread anyone ?

I should have asked you to say that about 5 pages ago.
    **helen** wrote: »
    :yes: to be fair, public calls for banning aren't really welcome regardless of the situation. There are plenty of ways to get in touch with us privately if you are feeling strongly about someone. Anywho, I'll take a deeper look into all of this tomorrow. :)

Can we do an X-Factor style voting contest?
    I don’t expect the Saudi government to give a fuck about my personal opinion, but I do expect them to take notice of international opinion, as I would expect our government to. Maybe the bloke on the street feels like he’s trapped under a barbaric regime, and that the condemnation and support of other nations will help him affect change in his own country.

I really don't think the Saudi government gives much of a fuck about international opinion either - when have they ever?

Given all the money they have invested in the West, plus the small matter of the vast quantities of black gold they're hoarding, I think it would be fair to say that we need them more than they need us, and they might be forgiven in waving two fingers our way if we question how they adminster their own justice system. I think they might be forgiven for thinking that we're basically saying "our morals are better than your morals, we know better than you do, you're evil we're not, ergo, don't punish that criminal according to the laws and statutes of your country because we say it's naughty".
    Can we do an X-Factor style voting contest?
    Who'd be the Simon Cowell of this board, that's the question? Who wears their trousers the highest?

Given the very serious allegations about this country being involved in torture, I think the Saudis would throw that straight back at us were we to criticise them for this incident. The UK wouldn't have much of a leg to stand on.
    Who'd be the Simon Cowell of this board.

Well volunteered SG.
    G wrote: »
    Well volunteered SG.
    Have you heard Cowell giving feedback to X Factor applicants along the lines of "You have got to be the most pathetic person to have come here all day, you talentless cunt"?

No? Then I'm out. :p