Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

going to the doctors.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
my friend made an appointment for me to go to the doctor about my selfharming. the appointments made for a weeks time, and im just a bit worried about what to say ? any help would be welcome :)

lauren.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Deep breath, relax and talk through slowly, don't just blurt everything out.

Probably best by saying to GP that you are having a few problems coping and show him/her scars. They will understand, you will not be the first they have seen.
    You've got to be honest. They can't guess how you are feeling so in a way you really have to simplify what you are saying.

Try writing it all down first so when you walk in your mind doesn't go blank. I've always found that helpful. Also if you get too nervous when you are in there you could hand over the piece of paper to the dr so he can read. I've done this a number of times and it's so worth it.

good luck hun x
    You can refuse to let them see your scars. if they do ask, it's just to check that they're healing ok and there's no infection.
    I agree with brunettebarbie, you should write down how you are feeling with a diary or something similar. It will allow you to show your doctor how you are feeling on a day-to-day basis, and show any patterns in your behavior that your doctor may be able to help you with. It may also help you to gain a greater understanding of how you are feeling and why you feel the need to self-harm.

Hope all goes well with your appointment *hug*
    Be honest don't lie staay calm deep breaths tell him you self harm show him the scars he'll ask why you do it you say why and everything should go perfect x
    Don't worry x

Troubled_Youngster x
    Don't be afraid, heaps of people have been where you have including me.
    I haven't done self harm for a few months. Its possible to get better. If your not suicidal make that very clear to the doctor so they don't start to panic.
    Hey lauren, it's really good to hear that your friend is supporting you and making an appointment is a really positive step. Is he/she going to go along with you? You might want to have a look at this article about what to expect when you visit your doctor about self-harm.

All the best and let us know how it goes *hug*
    thanks for all the support everyone ! :) it's mainly just not knowing what to say that im worried about. i'll give writing it down a go, but im not too sure how well i'll be able to do it.

what do you think the most important things to get across are ?

lauren.
    Try and get across how you are feeling when you are self-harming and what thoughts are driving you to those feelings. Try to mention anything to your GP that you feel might be related, but make sure you are comfortable saying what you want. If you aren't comfortable it will be harder for you to get across how you are feeling.