Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

My business, mine!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok so I sort of started my own business early this year. Currently quite small doing personalised clothing for people. I'm hoping to start up my own clothing label which was my ultimate goal, and now with a bit of money coming in I can look to fund my plan.

However I have a small issue. I think my brother is a little jealous of my current success in starting a new job and starting my own business on the side. He wants to look at web design and thought about starting a drop shipping company and asked me for some advice.

When I mentioned to him about what product he's going to sell and his target market, I mentioned my goal and how im starting on it and he seemed to get the idea of a joint clothing label. I'm not exactly pleased, he's the kind of person who flits from one project to the next when he gets bored or it doesnt look like its working out. I've managed to steer him off in his own direction for now but im not enjoying our little talks about plans and what action "we" are taking.

Anyone else had this before? If so what did you do about it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi,

I think you need to be honest and tell him this is your own project and that he needs to find his own project, but tell him you will help him in anyway you can. But try not to give the impression that it is a team effort or joint venture.

If you carry on and let him believe that it is a joint venture then when you do let him down and tell him its not, the more painful it will be.

"he's the kind of person who flits from one project to the next when he gets bored or it doesnt look like its working out."

He could be struggline to match up to your small success compared with his lack of success, so could be a confidence/jealousy issue.

"He wants to look at web design and thought about starting a drop shipping company and asked me for some advice".

To offer him advice you could try sites like alibarber.com or esources.com I think, they are sources of wholesale products and offer dropshipping items as well.

I wish you all the best.
  • Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    MrShyDrops wrote: »
    To offer him advice you could try sites like alibarber.com or esources.com I think, they are sources of wholesale products and offer dropshipping items as well.

Hi,

Useful information, but not sure either these links are valid anymore - they both seem to be going to those horrid domain selling websites.

This looks like it might be quite a good resource, a Drop Shipping forum for the UK: http://dropshipforum.co.uk/

Olly
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    woo I run a small business too!

and my sister tries to piggyback a bit on my success too. coincidence eh.

you may try what I found to work. I said to my sister, it's not that I don't want to help you, its that I believe you can do it on your own.

If your brother is younger than you he may be like my sister: the not-oldest sibling who's a little behind the oldest sibling and feels that they always need to do things together. Eventually it'll clock that you're both just two young adults, and age matters less, and you can take care of yourselves as well as looking out for each other.

Or you could also do what I do and admit nothing - I stopped telling my family about my business plan or clients or anything. Less prying has proved helpful.