Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

$3 Million lawsuit against NC soft for an Addictive game

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So this dude is suing NC soft over their game Lineage 2 for being too addictive,

Story here:
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/loadNews/17864/utm_campaign/MMORPG%20News%20Alert%20Email/utm_source/MMORPG/utm_medium/email
Case Details here:
http://dockets.justia.com/docket/hawaii/hidce/1:2009cv00497/87427/

What a big pile of shit imo, it's his own fault if he becomes addicted. Apparently he's spent 20k hours on it and has been hospitalised because of it.

I find it funny this happened after he got banned.

Comments

• Options
    Why is it listed under "Other Civil Rights"? lol, the guy sounds like a douche wanting to blame someone.
  • Options
    I know... no idea how he thinks he has a chance of winning, I reckon the judge will order addiction therapy and no monetary sum.
  • Options
    fucking idiot. Hope he ends up having to pay damages. I'm all for negligent companies paying out if they've done something wrong or illegal, but for stuff like this?

This sort of guy is the reason McDonald's cups have Warning-Contents may be hot on them.
  • Options
    And what game is it - Opportunity Knocks?

In this case, the opportunity to make a lot of fucking money out of something that's his own fault.

Twat.
  • Options
    Linage II I believe is a free to play mmorpg
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Linage II I believe is a free to play mmorpg

I played Lineage on a cracked server for a while, it is pretty addictive. I once played for so long I had to do a poo in my hand.
  • Options
    If he can prove that they've made it deliberately addictive he'll have a case on his hands. Would it be any different from suing say a chocolate company for including an addictive chemical in their food which made you addicted?

Now, the real problem is I doubt he has a chance in hell of proving they have made it addictive or that it even is addictive. Just because he is addicted to it doesn't mean it is addictive in nature.

So in principal, good luck to him, every man should be allowed his day in court. Practically though, he's got no chance and he's probably just hoping for a settlement.

I think computer addiction and computer games addiction in particular is something that is not really recognised, but a lot of people I know, perhaps including myself, spend over 50% of their free time on computer / computer games.

Just two days ago: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/20/south-korean-psychiatrists-treating-starcraft-addiction-with-dru/ so this is relevant / important stuff to think about.
  • Options
    Quite how anyone can find Lineage addictive beats me - it's for people who find World of Warcraft too mentally taxing...

if you're going to get addicted to an MMORPG at least get addicted to one that's some good...