Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

job in photography?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm thinking maybe a job taking photos of cars would be good for me. But I am wondering/curious to what people want. I mean what sort of 'car' photos should I be taking of. I am wanting to take photos of other subjects such as landscape and macro photography.

Here's a few photos.

First photo I took today with my Canon 450D.

_MG_0081_blackwhite01.jpg
27.jpg
26.jpg
25.jpg
22.jpg
6.jpg
3-1.jpg
2.jpg

Maybe I should go on a course, what do you all think? Is it worth it? Anyone been on a course and if so, which one and what did it teach you?

Thanks
D.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Personally I think the best way to learn about photography is to shoot, shoot and shoot! Try different films, experiment with lomography, shoot people, landscapes, cars, candid shots, just everything. Gather your knowledge that way and build a portfolio. if you still feel you want to continue down this route then perhaps show your portfolio to art colleges / schools and see what they think and if they will take you on board a creative course. Also, ask around at restaurants, cafes, etc and see if they display artists' work... you might be in with a chance at displaying and selling something. Also, look into competitions. Look into sending photos to be published in magazines, you might get £50 or something for it.
    hope that helps.
    Thanks for your reply Nutter.

You were helpful :)

But I have two questions... What do you mean by 'different films' and what is lomography?
    There are some nice shots - so perhaps you've got the eye. However they're not great. A course can introduce you to ways of improving your shots, but whether you can apply that knowledge depends on your innate artistic ability.
    Big Gay wrote: »
    However they're not great.

But they are better than the snaps I take.
    Your stuff has improved a lot since you first started with the new camera.

As far making money from photography... well I'm not sure about the artistic side, but weddings, sports and journo are other options.
    I can't offer any help sorry, but I must say that I dig your last 3 photos - the bee and the two mirrored lake pics.
    I think a course of some sort would do you good, as, although your photographs are good, I think a lot of that is due to a good camera, and learning some of the technical side of photography might do you good, if you don't wish to be more of an artist, rather than a magazine/advertising or whatever photographer.
    We have a photographer who takes pictures of our trains all day, he loves it and charges us a fortune.

Try approaching companies and showing how your photography can make their products look good.
    I agree, a course would help you to pick up on some aspects of your shots and push them into a better class. Though don't underestimate some of the magazines on the market, which will give you some great hints. Such as - watch out for your backgrounds. In your car shot, for example, two fence posts are sticking out of the mid-post in the window. Some repositioning might have hidden them, or allowed you to edit them out in post.

You may not be ready to go it alone, but if you've got available time, you could see if there's any local photogs who might let you shadow them - you basically dogsbody for them carrying kit around, but hopefully pick up a lot of practical tips.
    By different films I mean, Black and White, Redscale, Slide, etc.
    Lomography is basically a branch of photography that uses plastic cameras and offers experimental results. www.lomography.com :)
    I met a photographer the other day who's job was to take photos of cars all day long - I think he really enjoyed it but he said that its realllly hard to get a foot in the door and that he was really lucky as his dad was a photographer so had contacts. He also said that most magazines these days don't use photographers any more and just rely on the shots sent by the companies when they are doing reviews - but don't let that put you off just its a bit of a reality check.

I would say go on a course and practice practice practice - offer to take pictures for free at first for everyone you know to build up your portfolio.