Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Would you?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Would you move if you couldn't find a job where your living?

And if you didn't have much cash lets say 6k altogether would you still look for somewhere to live?

I am in a situation where I want a change and I want to move to Scotland but I don't know if I would be able to manage; money-wise, and looking for a job, and finding somewhere to stay.

Should I see if there are any sites for flat-mates where I want to stay?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Would you move if you couldn't find a job where your living?

And if you didn't have much cash lets say £6 altogether would you still look for somewhere to live?

I am in a situation where I want a change and I want to move to Scotland but I don't know if I would be able to manage; money-wise, and looking for a job, and finding somewhere to stay.

Should I see if there are any sites for flat-mates where I want to stay?

As apposed to, say, waiting for someone else to do that for you, you mean? I don't see how else you would find somewhere to live unless you look.

As for the lack of money, yes, that's an issue. But you'd probably want to sign up with a temp agency or something wherever you are planning on moving to.
    I'm contemplating this too. I've been looking for work, and almost a year later, I have nothing to show for it. My mortgage is up for renewal in August and I will have to make a decision. To the OP - I don't think that renting with flatmates will be an option, because landlords tend to look down on the unemployed. You need to have found the job first, then look for the accomodation. I think for me, I will have to go back to my parents, look nationwide for jobs, then worry about renting somewhere once I'm offered a job.
    It might be best changing jobs and getting some money saved up to better enable a move to scotland.

Any particular reasons for scotland? :P
    I mean't 6k in my first post and not £6. lol

G
    I chose Scotland because when ever I go there on my holiday (just been last week) there are always one or two jobs which I could apply for. Apart from that, I love the scenery, walking/cycling and the wildlife Scotland brings.
    I would apply for jobs I liked the look over all over the country, then move to wherever it was I got offered a job I liked. I wouldn't pick a random place, move, then look for a job. Just me but I'd rather sort the job first, I wouldn't want to move somewhere then realise there are no jobs there that are suitable for me, no matter how much I wanted to live in that place.
    Kat_B wrote: »
    I would apply for jobs I liked the look over all over the country, then move to wherever it was I got offered a job I liked. I wouldn't pick a random place, move, then look for a job. Just me but I'd rather sort the job first, I wouldn't want to move somewhere then realise there are no jobs there that are suitable for me, no matter how much I wanted to live in that place.

I would do that, but I don't have any confidence in finding one striaght away.

If you find a flat mate and you have to stay there for at least 12 months and you don't find anything, you will spend all your money. That's my worry.

But I understand what you're saying.
    Well yeah, that's why I said I would find a job BEFORE i move. I wouldn't move somewhere and sign up to a flat with no job - because as you said you could go 12 months without finding a job and waste your money.

If you're flexible about where you live, start applying for jobs everywhere and see what happens. If you've got no ties to a particular place you have a world of options.
  • Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer

If you have a bit of money then why not spend it going up to where you want to move to and spend a few days looking for a job? Make up a reason why you are moving, you can just say 'personal reasons', that your partner has been offered a job in that area or you've decided to move to somewhere with more opportunities.

Worth getting a few leads before you go so it's not completely on-spec, but if you do a bit of research on the internet and find out which companies/organisations are local to where you want to be and then contact them and ask if you could have 15 minutes with the HR manager or a relevant person just to see how likely it is that you'd find work. But also check out the local job centre, some agencies, buy a copy of the local paper etc.

You should be able to spend a week there for under £500, so although it's an investment, it'll give you a good idea on how likely you'd find a job before you decide to move.

Once you've got a bit more intelligence then you'll be in a far better position to make a decision.

Best wishes,

Olly
    Olly_B wrote: »
    If you have a bit of money then why not spend it going up to where you want to move to and spend a few days looking for a job? Make up a reason why you are moving, you can just say 'personal reasons', that your partner has been offered a job in that area or you've decided to move to somewhere with more opportunities.

Worth getting a few leads before you go so it's not completely on-spec, but if you do a bit of research on the internet and find out which companies/organisations are local to where you want to be and then contact them and ask if you could have 15 minutes with the HR manager or a relevant person just to see how likely it is that you'd find work. But also check out the local job centre, some agencies, buy a copy of the local paper etc.

You should be able to spend a week there for under £500, so although it's an investment, it'll give you a good idea on how likely you'd find a job before you decide to move.

Once you've got a bit more intelligence then you'll be in a far better position to make a decision.

Best wishes,

Olly

I know what I would say. I would say that I hate living where I live now and I need a new start and say something to a supervisor who I heard her say about me behind my back!
    I'd say stay where you are and start applying for jobs in Scotland, when you get one, then is the time to move up there.
    I honestly don't know what to do with my life. I feel like giving up looking for a job. I feel like driving over a cliff, that is how much confidence I have.

I just don't know what job to do.

I want to do a college course but it starts at 4pm and I finish work at 5pm. I just know my manager won't let me have the time off. I feel crap.
    Colleges usually offer the same course at different times / different days / different locations.

Of course if you feel THAT strongly about it, quit your job and do the college course! If you've got "£6k" then you'd probably have enough to live off for a few months to complete your course without the need to be working at the same time.
    Nah can't just quit my job like that! I need money to pay for bills.
    If you have £6k then surely you could do the course, and in the meanwhile look for a job to fit around the learning?

Could be a good incentive to get out of your current job, which I know you dont like. It can be very frightening to go and do something which isnt what you have done for years and years.
    G

You might be right, but the way things are going for me, I just don't have any confidence in finding a course I want to do because as you all know, I keep changing my mind all the time. I've had the job with the company for 8 years.

I seriously don't know what to do!

My hobbies:
    Photography
    Computers
    Course & Game Angling
    Fly tying (what is fly-tying?........There is no way I can live off tying flies and get a decent money in a week.

Job areas I'm interested in:
    Car
    Conservation
    Wildlife/Nature
    Web Design (lost interest)
    RAF (lost interest due to my health)
    You have mentioned yourself you change your mind alot and you're not sure what you want to do so from the jobs you mentioned you are interested in, could you maybe volunteer in one of those areas to see how you like it and if that is an area you would like to work?
    Ever thought of changing jobs to somewhere in the area you live, and perhaps take up some distance learning courses?
    You won't know what you want to do unless you give something different a try, and volunteering as Leanne said would be a good way to try and also get some experience. If your not happy with where you are then get out of it, it's pointless staying stuck in a rut. The more you put up with it, the more it will get you down tbh
    well from how I see it you have three job areas left which you are interested in: 1) Cars 2) Conservation and 3) Nature/animals.

I guess it depends in what you are looking for in a job. With cars you could do a college course in mechanics? Or work in a car sales garage?
    With the other two, I guess you'd either be outside a lot (does working outside in all weathers appeal?) Or you'd be doing an office job for them (does sitting in an office appeal?)

Once you have sorted these things out and decided what appeals most I guess you are one step closer?
    I was in a similar situation, had been working the same job for 6 years and the routine of it started getting me down. Then when I split with my fiancée I decided I had to make a change. I found a course that I could do online in my own time, and now I'm in the process of trying to find some volunteer work in the evenings and my free time to gain some experience in the field I want to move into. So I'm still in the routine job, but I know now my options are open to me, and that I'm able to keep expanding my work options, while still maintaining my job. Just knowing that I do have options has made the current job more bearable, and the prospect of getting into something I will enjoy more lets me keep searching and means I don't have to give up hope.

Hope you manage to find a job you like, and that the search doesn't get you too down
    Today I was thinking about quitting my job and going to college full time. But it depends on how much my car will cost after its been fixed.

I'm thinking about Photography or Web Design, but it does depend on what my two local colleges have on offer
    To get a job in photography, you don't need qualifications in it.
    grace wrote: »
    To get a job in photography, you don't need qualifications in it.

You just need a good portfolio!
    Found a Foundation Degree in Photography. But its a shame its only for the evening.
    Found a Foundation Degree in Photography. But its a shame its only for the evening.

So you could get a job during the day, and even if you didn't enjoy it, the course would be something to look forward to.
    grace wrote: »
    So you could get a job during the day, and even if you didn't enjoy it, the course would be something to look forward to.

Yep. And even if you weren't too keen on your job at least you'd know the money you were earning was going towards something you enjoyed and that might help you in the future.