Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

If you could add/change three laws

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If you had the power to change three laws in England, or to create three brand new laws what would they be, imagine the decision was yours and it would be implemented by the police/courts with immediate effect.

What would you decide? :chin:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I am currently thinking about my choices...

But you should move this to Politics and Debate, will get a better response there.
    jamelia wrote: »
    I am currently thinking about my choices...

But you should move this to Politics and Debate, will get a better response there.

I took your advice :thumb:
    - Legalise all drugs
    - Pass an executive government act, outlining the powers of the monarch, PM/Cabinet, as the main executive figures in the government
    - Repeal the 1972 European Communities Act
    Wait til SG gets here...

Though I feel he'll have trouble keeping it down to three...
    Repeal the late licensing laws and stengthen council/police powers to close premises that don't comply with the law.

Make the PCSO role the same wherever you are in the UK. PCSOs to have the same powers (and those powers will be all the powers a PCSO can be designated), equipment and uniform.

Alter the penalty notice scheme to include reparative penalties as well as punitive penalties. If someone commits a crime that causes harm to a person (ie criminal damage/theft) and they admit to it they can either be arrested, issued a punitive fine or ordered to do a set number of hours unpaid work in the community to repair whatever harm it is they caused. Something like 10 hours.
    the execution law 2010

if you have been to prison four times, on your fith time you wont enter jail, you will be executed, also if convicted of murder or rape you will be executed.

The benifit cap law 2010

In regards to benifits there is a cap after two children are born you will recieve no future extra help/benifit increase for additional children no matter how many more you have

Mugs law 2010

If your convicted of a mugging you get 5 years in jail:thumb:
    sepumseeme wrote: »
    the execution law 2010

if you have been to prison four times, on your fith time you wont enter jail, you will be executed, also if convicted of murder or rape you will be executed.

The benifit cap law 2010

In regards to benifits there is a cap after two children are born you will recieve no future extra help/benifit increase for additional children no matter how many more you have

Mugs law 2010

If your convicted of a mugging you get 5 years in jail:thumb:

Ok so we start hanging shoplifters and a whole lot of people with mental health issues

It seems unfair to punish the children by forcing them to live in poverty

Your last one sounds good though :thumb:
    Twenty mile an hour speed limits on all housing estates and reidential roads.

Drug dealers should get locked up for life as they are directly responsible for most of the crime and misery in this world.

People who litter should be tasered on sight :thumb:
    Louisek wrote: »

Drug dealers should get locked up for life as they are directly responsible for most of the crime and misery in this world.

Haha, i like the thought of your last one, i can see the videos on youtube now :)

Infact i nearly made a law for litterbugs myself, you guessed it, jail time.

Im ashamed to say my dad was/maybe is a drug dealer which is why i chose 5 years back not to speak to him as i have the same view of you there...

I agree with your first one.

Hanging shoplifters, i say yes, if they are repeat offenders, theres too many people on the planet so tough laws are needed, and tough consequences,
    i know what your saying about poor children but i work in housing management and i see the coucnil tenents (some are really decent people who are trying) but theres a lot that have loads of kids and the parents are never at work or never will work and they get the best accomadation going, i think thats wrong, theres no incentive for the father to get out there and work, if his kids were hungry, maybe he would, or maybe the mum wouldnt of had so many if she thought about the consequences, if you dont work...... you dont eat.

perhaps you got a point with executing mental health patients, i would need to make some get out clauses there...
    I'd hate to ever see you in a job of authority.
    Wow, people are incredibly quick issue a death sentence. What about the wrongly accused? You think the death sentence is appropriate in these cases?

Shoplifting is awful, but not to equivalent to death. Come on, now, don't be so ignorant. Tough laws, yes. Prison time, yes. Death? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
    The benifit cap law 2010

What happens if you have a multiple birth?
    1. I reckon that cheating on partners should be a crime. Sure, it'll be hard to prove, but rape is also hard to prove. Cheating breaks hearts and I think that sould be criminalised. (I've never been a victim of it myself though)

2. Bring back the incentive for recycling. Like 5p for every bottle that you return to the bottle bank etc.

3. Tough punishments for the press when one of their newsstories is inaccurate or sensationalised. Any newsstories that are designed to invoke hatred should also be punished.
    Laws against emotional harm open up a Pandora's Box. If Liverpool beat Manchester United, can United fans sue Liverpool for beating their team? Where does it end?

Cheating is also not black and white. Whilst causing hurt is not justified, the hurt party often has to take some of the blame for the cheating. Disputes are seldom cut and dry.

Another law I want to repeal is all business taxes, and the original ratification of the NATO treaty.
    1. Stop the blanket ban of being in the TA if you have any degree of deafness.
    2. Basic rate of tax to apply to everyone regardless of earnings.
    3. Criminals to be liable for all damages caused in the duration of their unlawful activity.
    1. Stop the blanket ban of being in the TA if you have any degree of deafness.
    2. Basic rate of tax to apply to everyone regardless of earnings.
    3. Criminals to be liable for all damages caused in the duration of their unlawful activity.

Erm theres a ban on people with hearing issues in the regular army as well, I think its along the lines of it could cost people lives.
    TintedLens wrote: »
    Wow, people are incredibly quick issue a death sentence. What about the wrongly accused? You think the death sentence is appropriate in these cases?

Shoplifting is awful, but not to equivalent to death. Come on, now, don't be so ignorant. Tough laws, yes. Prison time, yes. Death? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Yes, go to jail five times for theft would have no differance, the thieve knows the consequences so will be shown no mercy, even five public order offences, this law would only apply to people over 18.

Tough laws and prison time just dont cut it in most cases, theres too many animals around and the world is over populated.

And about mentally ill people, if the jail time was spent because they had caused harm to others then the punishment would still be death.

Melian wrote: »
    What happens if you have a multiple birth?

That is the exception to the rule.
    Yes, go to jail five times for theft would have no differance, the thieve knows the consequences so will be shown no mercy, even five public order offences, this law would only apply to people over 18.

Tough laws and prison time just dont cut it in most cases, theres too many animals around and the world is over populated.

And about mentally ill people, if the jail time was spent because they had caused harm to others then the punishment would still be death.

You're a hoot. Why five times? Is that the number you found in your bum?

I'd make awful spelling and grammar a capital offence.

ETA: I'd also make it legal to pull down the pants of people with psychotic tendencies geared towards offing mentally ill people.
    You're a hoot. Why five times? Is that the number you found in your bum?

ETA: I'd also make it legal to pull down the pants of people with psychotic tendencies geared towards offing mentally ill people.

:thumb: some of you are crazy. never indulge in power. dont even buy a kitten. god knows what it would lead to.

Yes, yes and triple yes.

An especially painful death should be meted out to those who commit errors with: there/their/they're, your/you're, its/it's, who/whom and the worst, most painful death reserved for errant apostrophes.
    - decriminalisation possession of all type of drugs

- criminalisation of all types of tax avoidance

- make religious education/indoctrination for minors a criminal offence
    Aladdin wrote: »
    - decriminalisation possession of all type of drugs

- criminalisation of all types of tax avoidance

- make religious education/indoctrination for minors a criminal offence

So you'd make faith schools illegal?

Nothing about bankers / politicos? You must be getting soft in your old
    age che.
    1) I reckon we could do away with the law allowing Jocks to be shot with a bow and arrow in York

2) I also don't think we need to have a law that Black Cab drivers need to have a bale of hay in their cab's boot

3) And finally change the law of gravity - it'd be much more fun if we could float to work
    I would:

1. Abolish faith schools and allow religion to be taught in school only from its cultural and anthropological perspectives. At the same time, I would make teaching philosophy and critical thinking in schools a mandatory and central part of the national curriculum

2. Abolish all private and independent schools - all children must be state educated

3. Institute 100% inheritance tax.
    Louisek wrote: »

That makes sense.

But this doesn't stop the demand. All drugs should be legal, since the demand wouldn't stop.

Isn't littering only about aesthetics? The only environmental issue is if litter is not biodegrable. Dropping paper or food on the ground wouldn't damage the environment.
    So you'd make faith schools illegal?
    Absolutely. Wretched, disturbing concept IMO.

I'd also get rid of all religious education lessons in the Curriculum and legislate against children being indoctrinated at home as well, since I simply believe religious education and children don't mix. I realise it'd be unenforcable to apply the law when it comes to what parents tell children at home, but it's the general principle of the thing.
    Nothing about bankers / politicos? You must be getting soft in your old
    age che.
    Well, the OP only gave us three choices... :p

You're really not very bright, are you? Besides the obvious reasons not to execute someone for SHOPLIFTING, do you have any idea how much it would cost us all in taxes to have an execution trial every time someone stole something? We'd all be paying an absolute fortune.

Not to mention that jurys would be reluctant to convict someone for their crimes if the conviction was DEATH, so it'd be pretty counter-active in most cases, seeing as the vast majority of people would think your idea was absolutely ridiculous.

Oh, and I see you didn't even touch upon my argument about those being wrongfully accused. How would you justify their deaths? Yeah, didn't think you could.
    Not that I'm advocating it, but financially, trial and execution would be a lot cheaper than trial, prison and rehabilitation, particularly for repeat offenders.

ETA: Bit harsh calling them thick. Let's hear what laws you propose and see how long it takes me to pick some holes and call you not very bright.
    Not that I'm advocating it, but financially, trial and execution would be a lot cheaper than trial, prison and rehabilitation, particularly for repeat offenders.

You have to build somwhere to hold them until they get executed and then build somewhere to execute them. And then there's the countless appeals.
    You could probably hold them in existing prisons. The turnover of inmates would by the nature of the proposal be that much higher. It may also act as an incentive not to rob. Not that I'm advocating it.