Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Smoking a shisha in public

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Heya guys, new to the site but only figured i'd ask a couple of questions so no need for a super long intro

I'm 16 and i got a present from my girlfriend, of which is a shisha.
And as far as i know, and have found out from police i.e (being arrest for other things) is that being 16 i'm allowed to smoke, have tobacco and other smoking equipment.

I got arrested the other day, and with possesion of cannibis, but there were other things in my bag such as, a mini-blow torch, a gas lighter refill, tobacco, rolling papers, filters, lighters etc etc. But the police only took the cannibis, nothing else which as far as i'm conserned means i'm allowed the rest of the stuff.

After my run in with police and court, i don't fancy getting in trouble again, so before i decide to set out and smoke this in public, was wondering if i could without getting in trouble.

I was planning (because i live in plymouth) that i would sit up on the area called the 'hoe' which is like a huge grassy area, which then drops down onto the sea front. It's a public place, like a park. I quite often sit up there with friends, and was planning on taking my shisha and smoking flavoured tobacco and salvia.

Would i get into trouble for having a large 'water pipe' on me, and would i get in trouble for doing it in a public place?

Thank you for reading ;D

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You have to be 18 to buy and consume tobacco not 16.
    Oh

I was thinking that (the age thing).

Though I am curious myself about smoking one of those in public...
    Bear in mind that outside can be windy. And wind and hot coals do not mix very well.
    You have to be 18 to buy and consume tobacco not 16.

Wrong, i originally stated in my first post it is legal to posses tobacco products at the age of 16, but you're unable to purchase them untill you are 18.

I just wish there was an easy place to look up and ask laws, so you didn't end up breaking them....
    Bear in mind that outside can be windy. And wind and hot coals do not mix very well.

Good point :) Which is why i'll get a shisha wind cover, i use a blow torch to lighter instant lighting coals, so it normally works quite well. I've a roof garden, which can be very windy at time (living near the sea) and it stays lit really quite well :)
    You can smoke it in public, anywhere that the smoking ban isn't imposed. You're fine with Shisha, as long as it is nicotine free, pure herbal tobacco. As a plus point, the wind cover won't do you justice in a big wind, seriously. It'll still break down as it comes to the end of it burning, and the wind will just blow it around inside.

While Salvia is legal, I'd say don't smoke it on the "hoe" out of a Shisha.
    You can smoke at age . You just can't buy tobacco until your 18 in the uk
    You can't get in trouble for having a 'large water pipe' on you, just the same as you can't get in trouble for having a crack pipe on you, that isn't an offence. It's the possession that is.
  • Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Why not just go to a Shisha bar, as opposed to carrying one around, they are rather cumbersome and I'm pretty sure you're not going to want to have a massive [what the Police will assume is a bong] on you. - You've already been in trouble with them for possesion of weed, so it's probably not so wise to be carrying that around. Atleast not until the dust has settled a bit.
    Do any Shisha bars even exist anymore? The smoking ban has pretty much destroyed any unless they can use the ban loop. Thats why I bought my own.
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    Do any Shisha bars even exist anymore? The smoking ban has pretty much destroyed any unless they can use the ban loop. Thats why I bought my own.

Yup some take the risk and still allow smoking it in the premises but it seems to mostly be outside now. But they still supply the shisha.
    Why do you even want to smoke shisha in public?
    The laws 18 didn't know. my mateb16 bough ciggys when she was 16 which has tobacco and nicoteen from news&booze and she gave me and my mates one to try she said if we dont we will die.
    but don't you think it's best not to smoke shisha in public as you've been caught in the past?
    Shisha isn't illegal, neither is smoking it. I've personally not seen real Shisha being sold in shops anyway, best to get it online. Plus its really expensive :/
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    Shisha isn't illegal, neither is smoking it. I've personally not seen real Shisha being sold in shops anyway, best to get it online. Plus its really expensive :/
    How exspensive?
    Dr Pirate wrote: »
    Why not just go to a Shisha bar, as opposed to carrying one around, they are rather cumbersome and I'm pretty sure you're not going to want to have a massive [what the Police will assume is a bong] on you. - You've already been in trouble with them for possesion of weed, so it's probably not so wise to be carrying that around. Atleast not until the dust has settled a bit.

:yes: yep
    **Annie** wrote: »
    How exspensive?
    Around the same price as a 20pack of cigs? Don't know what they go for these days. Only problem is most stores sell it in bulk of the one flavour, which isn't ideal. Which is the downside.
    @fuuubar, i wouldn't go up the hoe for a smoke, the plod and local chav's will be on you quicker then cheap aftershave.

AFIK, fat mamma's on the bottom of north hill do shisha. that's probably your best bet.
    Why not go to a shisha bar? I'm 16, they can't serve me tobacco. Which is fair enough, and the shisha was bought for me as a present, but before we just used to go up on the hoe and actually smoke bongs, just chillin on the grass, and no one really has anything to say about it. Chavs couldn't care less really, not when you're in a group.

But still, the reason why i want to sit on the hoe, and smoke a shisha. Is because, it's nice just to mellow out in the sun, with your friends, considering we're all pretty big smokers, everyone smokes and enjoys it.

From reading this, the overall opinion is that, yes it is legal to do so in public, just expect people to interfere.