Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The $2m speeding fine

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Clicky

I'd love to see traffic offence fines done on this basis over here.

Comments

• Options
    *$1m. Fuck.
  • Options
    I can't get past that car.

He may have broken the law, but if you're going to do it, do it in a car like that.
  • Options
    thats not even including impound fines

what a way to get ticket though
  • Options
    Makes perfect sense. A fixed 60 quid fine to a bloke worth millions is about as deterring as any of us being fined 20p. If only politicians had the balls to introduce it here.
  • Options
    lol. Serves the fucker right.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    lol. Serves the fucker right.
    I think it's pretty cool. Would love to drive that fast in a car.
  • Options
    This is nothing more than the politics of envy at its worst. Making people pay larger fines simply because they can is just vindictive. Expect to see it, therefore, in the Labour Party manifesto anytime soon.

As this man has been caught driving at 180mph, I say that this cunt should be thrown into prison for a few years. That might kill his thirst for speed. And yes, I'd say that anyone who does this speed on public roads should be locked up.

In future, do what everyone else would have to do in order to get up to speeds like that. Visit a fucking racing track.

UPDATE: Oh, and make the fucker pay for rent and for his food whilst he's doing porridge too.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    This is nothing more than the politics of envy at its worst. Making people pay larger fines simply because they can is just vindictive. Expect to see it, therefore, in the Labour Party manifesto anytime soon.

As this man has been caught driving at 180mph, I say that this cunt should be thrown into prison for a few years. That might kill his thirst for speed. And yes, I'd say that anyone who does this speed on public roads should be locked up.

In future, do what everyone else would have to do in order to get up to speeds like that. Visit a fucking racing track.

UPDATE: Oh, and make the fucker pay for rent and for his food whilst he's doing porridge too.

Taking hundreds of thousands of pounds off someone with money is just as bad as putting them in prison. If you'd ever seized a range rover from someone for an unpaid tax disc/not being bothered to pay a couple of hundred quid in insurance you'd know how much the rich detest parting with money.
  • Options

So you're happy with a situation where a person on benefits pays the same fine as a millionaire - how is that an effective deterent? Surely people should get an equal punishment for doing the same crime?
  • Options
    This is nothing more than the politics of envy at its worst. Making people pay larger fines simply because they can is just vindictive.

No, it's about making sure that people are punished equally, and there is absolutely no way that you can claim that £50 off a millionaire is the same punishment as £50 off someone on benefits. There's obviously an argument for prison sentences instead, in which case there's no issue. But if the penalty is financial, then the only way to ensure that some people aren't getting disproportionately punished is to link the fine to earnings. And even then, the rich will still be better off, because the more money you have, the less essential large amounts of it becomes (in the sense that this man is unlikely to have to cancel any plans because he can no longer afford them, for example).
  • Options
    No, it's about making sure that people are punished equally, and there is absolutely no way that you can claim that £50 off a millionaire is the same punishment as £50 off someone on benefits. There's obviously an argument for prison sentences instead, in which case there's no issue. But if the penalty is financial, then the only way to ensure that some people aren't getting disproportionately punished is to link the fine to earnings. And even then, the rich will still be better off, because the more money you have, the less essential large amounts of it becomes (in the sense that this man is unlikely to have to cancel any plans because he can no longer afford them, for example).

No issue ?

An extension of your displayed "equality" logic would propagate that the younger the alleged perpetrator, the longer the prison sentence, would it not ?
  • Options
    This is nothing more than the politics of envy at its worst. Making people pay larger fines simply because they can is just vindictive

So on one hand you say he shouldnt be charged more simply because he is rich, then you say he should pay more because he is rich.

SG, your redmist as much as it has valid points at times, has contradicted itself, grow the hell up and think before you post!
  • Options
    G wrote: »
    So on one hand you say he shouldnt be charged more simply because he is rich, then you say he should pay more because he is rich.
    Let's make this clear for our resident army man. ANYONE caught doing the speeds that he's done should go to prison and be forced to pay for all costs they accumulated whilst in there. ANYONE.

Understand now?
  • Options
    Let's make this clear for our resident army man. ANYONE caught doing the speeds that he's done should go to prison and be forced to pay for all costs they accumulated whilst in there. ANYONE.

Understand now?

Most people could never afford it, and when I mean never afford it, you physically couldnt get the money out of them, do they die in prison then?

And what does the army have to do with this, why bring it up, is it relevant at all?

SG you just need to chill out *hug*
  • Options
    Most people could never afford it, and when I mean never afford it, you physically couldnt get the money out of them, do they die in prison then?

And what does the army have to do with this, why bring it up, is it relevant at all?

SG you just need to chill out *hug*
    Aww, you're awfully affectionate, you. :flirt:

Now, the point about people dying in prison if they couldn't pay. Release them and they can work to pay the money off. Or get a job and take a chunk out of their salary each week/fortnight/month/however often they get paid. There's only a few people I'd happily see dying in prison - we'd be talking about the likes of Ian Huntley there. However, there is a very simple solution to avoiding all these problems in the first place. Mainly by NOT speeding on the roads, by NOT driving around like a complete prick. It's quite an effective answer to the problem. Means you use less petrol in your car, too.

As for the "resident army man" bit, it's because the rules of the forum prohibit me from calling you "that Geordie cunt". :p What do you want me to call you?
  • Options
    Your bestest friend that you love to banter with?

You've hit the nail on the head, lets have prison tax :) Its like the student loan, but for people who have been in jail :)
  • Options
    Release them and they can work to pay the money off. Or get a job and take a chunk out of their salary each week/fortnight/month/however often they get paid.

Oh but you see, there's a problem there. The whole point of the prison system is to rehabilitate people, not pay stupidly huge fines which will be costing MORE than say a retest to see if he can keep his license. Its as much use as banning him from driving for a few months. If he simply didn't pay the fines, they would just amount to more fines, and more, and more. Which would be classed as official loss somewhere down the line.

If this was the solid case for anyone in his position, rich or not, we've be in even more shit. Probably take a guess that suicides and health problems would increase too.
  • Options
    Your bestest friend that you love to banter with?
    Nah, I think I'll stick to "that Geordie cunt", thanks. :p
    You've hit the nail on the head, let's have prison tax :) Its like the student loan, but for people who have been in jail :)
    Putting words in my mouth again? My my, you're using a lot of the old tactics this afternoon.
  • Options
    No, you hit the nail on the head of what we need to do. I suggested how to do it.

Talk about putting words in my mouth.