Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Someone who knows about phones and contracts - any good deals?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What's a good deal? :confused: The amount of information is simply overwhelming.

I Have a HTC TyTN II which is falling apart, and currently pay £20 a month sim only for T-Mobile: unlimited internet, unlimited texts, 600 anytime minutes. I probably don't need all of that, either.

I just want a new phone really - the HTC desire looks nice but is expensive. But if there is a good deal going I'd go for that. I can go into a contract as long as it's good value over the long term (for example, not going to pay £40 for 24 months which is the same as my tariff plus a £200 phone... just doesnt make sense).

I just thought I'd throw this on here because honest to god I have no clue about the heads of tail ends of the mobile market atm (I guess asymmetric information is something they like to exploit!) and so if anyone knows anything.. would be great :).

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you don't mind redemption offers then mobiles.co.uk were doing decent offers when i got my HTC desire.
    The deals on there look good... there's one in particular:

Orange Dolphin 25
    (24 months)
    300 mins Any
    Network Anytime + Unlimited Texts
    500MB Data
    £25.00 PCM
    15 months 1/2 price

That works out at £412.50 with a saving of £187.50, and a £25 a month contract isn't too expensive anyway. Or for an extra £5:

Orange Panther 30
    (24 months)
    400 mins Any
    Network Anytime + Unlimited Texts
    Unlimited Data
    £30.00 PCM
    15 months 1/2 price

Which is £495 with a saving of £225.

The only concern is whether these redemption deals work or whether I'm going to get screwed.... are you happy with yours so far maladjusted?
    Roughly, how many minutes and texts do you send a month?
    Bear in mind "unlimited data" on orange is actually 1GB of data per month
    ShyBoy wrote: »

The only concern is whether these redemption deals work or whether I'm going to get screwed.... are you happy with yours so far maladjusted?

Those were the two packages i looked at, ended up getting the Panther one in the end. Not had to send in any bills yet, but from what i recall looking up the company it seems ok. It's a subsiduary of Carphone Warehouse.

Yeah there is a limit on how much data you can use on the "unlimited" internet but i'm on it all the time and not come near to reaching the cap on it in an average month.
    Also seems there is £50 cashback if you go through quidco! :) Sounds like a good deal all in all.
    Vodafone is £90 c/b on quidco

http://www.quidco.com/vodafone/