Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

New York in 2 days...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm going to be in new york over the weekend, in the middle of the summer when it's very hot and busy with not much time! So, can anyone suggest what would deffinately be worth doing while I'm there so I don't miss out on anything really worth while? Thanks.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Broadway, musical - do it!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    MOMA
    Central Park
    Empire State Building
  • Options
    times square at night :) just generally wandering down it, shopping...its the bit i remember most about new york, it was just so exciting seeing everything lit up that ive seen in the movies so many times.
  • Options
    times square at night :) just generally wandering down it, shopping...its the bit i remember most about new york, it was just so exciting seeing everything lit up that ive seen in the movies so many times.
    Didn't you find it's a lot smaller than it looks in the films?
  • Options
    Didn't you find it's a lot smaller than it looks in the films?

haha not a lot smaller, but a little :)
  • Options
    Yeah definately Times Square at night.

I had two days in New York in 2007, it was brilliant and I got so much done.

We also went to a New York Yankies Baseball game which was good respite as we got to sit down for a couple of hours!

Also got the ferry for a good view of the Statue of Liberty and some sight seeing.

Shopping in Macys - I bought a nice bag.

Blueberry pancakes for breakfast one day and the other day we had bagels for breakfast in Central Park.
  • Options
    Do NOT attempt the Empire State Building - on a hot weekend day you'll spend the entire afternoon in a queue snaking around the lobby. I did this last summer and queued for 2 hours. Then when you finally get up there it's so rammed you can't get near the edge to see a thing - seriously not worth it.

MOMA without a doubt - fucking awesome. I would also suggest the Staten Island ferry. And central park for some chilling in the sun.
  • Options
    Yep, the Empire State Building is hell in the summer. We did it twice, and it was horrid.

Ellis Island is interesting, Times Square is beautiful, Central Park is huge, and the Statue of Liberty looks like a man.
  • Options
    As jamelia said, MOMA, but also the Guggenheim and the Met. ENVY MUCH?! :yes:
  • Options
    I went to New York for 5 nights in May, loved it and very envious of you!

Walking through Central Park was the best part, the Museum of Natural History was amazing, didn't bother with the Empire State but went to 'the top of the Rock' which was good, would def recommend all of these and a musical on Broadway (we saw the Lion King which was excellent), just wondering the streets and doing some shopping is good too. I absolutely hated Times Square, don't understand what all the fuss is about, but would still say it is worth going there during the day and night to experience it.

Hope you have a fab time.
  • Options
    well I ended up being ill the whole time, and then I also suffered really bad from dehydration and exhaustion so only ended up seeing central park and the zoo. I ended up having to lie down on a bench inside the natural history museum for about 2 hours.
    So gutted! :( I need to go back!
  • Options
    :( oh no poor you.
  • Options
    Mann, I've been meaning to go to NY, The Empire State Building will be my first choice.