Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

DVLA Contradicting themselves.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Wasn't sure where to put this so I put it here.

Ok so in February 09 I got into trouble for drink driving. An act of stupidity I will forever regret.

And I attended a course where I would be able to have my ban reduced from 20 months to 15.

I sent my licence application off a couple of weeks ago. (A bit late because theres been some distressing news at home) And about a week ago they returned my passport with a letter saying that my driving licence would follow shortly and I should allow 10 days.

This morning I recieved a new letter saying that I would have to attend and pay £100 for a medical (after already paying the DVLA £90 just to process my application) to show I am fit to drive before they will return it to me.

I have a few problems with this:
The first being that I had no prior knowledge that I would have to attend a medical and they have said that I would be written to about needing one if I did. Which they did not.

Number 2 is that they said they would be returning my licence within 10 working days and have then turned around and said that they would not be doing this.

Thirdly "Disqualification" as I understand the definition of the word means a qualification revoked. So why dont I have to go through the same procedure to get it back?

Also since they didn't tell me about this and I am young and have friends I have been drinking a lot every weekend and sometimes in the week too with them. Especially since I don't drive now I think "Why not?!"
So god knows what my liver must be like when they take blood from me.
However i don't have a drinking problem and if I'm honest about how much I drink I imagine this shouldnt be too much of a problem. I hope.

But the main thing is how misleading they have been.

Can they behave like this?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey there and thanks for posting your concerns,

You have posted in the correct section so don't worry.

You are concerned about this medical test that you need to undergo before your driving license is returned to you.

You might like to visit this site; www.drinkdriving.org for more information.

In particular I found a page about RENEWING YOUR DRIVING LICENCE AFTER A DRINK DRIVING BAN. It says that you should have received a letter from DVLA not long after you received your driving ban explaining that you will need a medical test and that you will need to pay for this. Did you receive any such letter?

In any case it looks like you will need the medical test before your driving license is returned as your offence was a drink driving one.

If you did not receive the letter, contact the DVLA office and explain the situation; maybe they will negotiate the fee?

You have further concerns about how your alcohol intake will affect this test. It might be a good idea to talk to your own GP about this, explain how much you drink and when. I assume that the medical test will take into account normal alcohol intake but not sure how it works exactly, so your GP will be the best person to talk to.

Hope you find a solution to this soon.
    :)
    They most certainly didn't send a letter informing me of any requirement to attend a medical examination.
    Sadly theyre not open to queries on saturdays so I will have to wait until monday now to take it up with them.
    L1ttleOne wrote: »

If you did not receive the letter, contact the DVLA office and explain the situation; maybe they will negotiate the fee? .
    :)

You've got no chance. Trying to negotiate with the DVLA is like trying to fill a collander with water.
    Sorry to burst the bubble, but even I think they're officious bastards ;)
    Haha that they are. I've always thought it, even before I had trouble with them personally.
    I think the "10 days time" part of a letter is likely a bog standard thing. Have you thought perhaps they have sent the letter? Unless they specifically said you wouldnt need one, rather than failing to mention it, then I dont think they are contradicting yourselfs.

You are lucky to be getting your licence back at all, so be thankful.