Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

SLC hassle

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Student loans company have said to me that they overpaid me last year and keep trying to phone me to get me to pay them back, even though I've not finished my course yet. What should I do? It sounds like it's a debt collecting agency, when I say they've not finished my course yet they say that doesn't matter as SLC have just passed it onto them.

:confused:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I find it rather odd that the first you would know of such a thing would be a collection agency. Plus surely you would know if you were overpaid?

Some sort of elaborate con maybe? I'd contact SLC directly.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey there ShyBoy,

This seems worrying, especially as a debt collecting agency has been phoning you.

Just like Mist has said
    Mist wrote: »
    I find it rather odd that the first you would know of such a thing would be a collection agency. Plus surely you would know if you were overpaid?

Some sort of elaborate con maybe? I'd contact SLC directly.

It does seem odd that a debt agency have contacted you straight away.

Normally if you have been overpaid by the Government, then they will write to you explaining by how much you have been overpaid and they will ask you to respond with any objections. They then normally agree a repayment plan with you.

I think you should call Student Finance directly and ask them what is going on as soon as possible, just as Mist suggested, before you tell this debt collection agency anything.

Let us know how you get on.

:)