Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Greek Islands

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Theres so many islands to choose from, or maybe stay on the mainland... i dont know.

Im looking for somewhere with beautiful beaches and a little something to do, maybe some ruins to visit for example???

Anybody been who has a recommendation?

Thanks.

:thumb:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've been to a tiny island called Aegina, its about 30 minutes on a ferry from athens, Really quiet little island with gorgeous beaches, plenty of restaurants and quiet bars to keep you occupied for a couple of weeks and for sight seeing we just caught the ferry back to Athens a couple of days.
    That looks lovely...

I think ill go thomas cook for a load of brouchures, im thinking a greek island, but even a spanish island maybe nice as its cheaper, ill have to weigh it up?

Thanks
    Santorini is meant to be incredible - I did the Greek Islands years ago and really regret missing it out!

I went to Kos which has a good mix of party town and traditional Greece, and you can take a day trip to Bodrum in Turkey if you want to see another country on your travels.

My one warning is if you're thinking of going "off season" (ie September onwards), ferries between the islands become a lot further apart - I got stuck on one tiny island for three days as the ferries had stopped for the season! :eek: So if you're planning on seeing a few, make sure you'll be able to get about when you're there :d

Have fun!
    Either of those look good...
    I am thinking of going September/October so thanks for the advice there, it would be nice to go on some boat trips.

Im looking for somewhere more quiet rather than lively, i want to relax!

Santorina looks nicer but Aegina is close to Athens which would be nice to visit???....

Maybe ill let the price and accomodation decide.:thumb:
    i went to kos a few years ago. it was still nice and warm, it had places to visit (there is a volcano there that you can visit), etc. however, i wouldn't go any later than september really. me and my friend went in early october and everything was shutting down. it was really quiet really. if i was to go again, i'd go in june-august time.
    i went to kos a few years ago. it was still nice and warm, it had places to visit (there is a volcano there that you can visit), etc. however, i wouldn't go any later than september really. me and my friend went in early october and everything was shutting down. it was really quiet really. if i was to go again, i'd go in june-august time.

Would May be considered in season, i want everything to be open but i dont want to go when its really hot (june,july,august)?

Thanks
    Check out the Lonely Planet website - they say it far better than I can! Looks like May could be perfect....
    Spring and autumn are the best times to visit Greece; specifically May, June, September and October. Most of the country’s tourist infrastructure goes into hibernation during winter, particularly on the islands. Some of the smaller islands close completely and some islanders head off to alternative homes on the mainland for a few months. Many hotels, seasonal cafés and restaurants close their doors from the end of November until the beginning of April; bus and ferry services are either drastically reduced or cancelled.

The cobwebs are dusted off in time for Orthodox Easter (usually around April), when the first tourists start to arrive. Conditions are perfect between Easter and mid-June, when the weather is pleasantly warm in most places; beaches and ancient sites are relatively uncrowded; public transport operates at close to full schedules; and there’s a bigger variety of accommodation options to choose from.

Mid-June to the end of August is high season. It’s party time on the islands and everything is in full swing. It’s also very hot – in July and August the mercury can soar to 40°C (over 100°F) in the shade just about anywhere in the country; the beaches are crowded; the ancient sites are swarming with tour groups; and in many places accommodation is booked solid.

The high season starts to wind down in September and conditions are ideal once more until the end of October.

By November the endless blue skies of summer have disappeared. November to February are the wettest months and it can get surprisingly cold. Snow is common on the mainland and in the mountains of Evia and Crete; it occasionally snows in Athens. But there are also plenty of sunny days and some visitors prefer the tranquillity that reigns at this time of year.
    Hi, thanks for the link :thumb:

I will read into that, i was strongly thinking of Santorini but im now convinced there will be mmore to do and better beaches in Zante.

Thanks again