Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

JSA guy HATES me grrr

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have been signing on for a few months now since I moved to this city and he gets at me every fucking time I go.

Now I know its their job to make you not want to go there and to push you to find work but...

I make such an effort to appease him everytime. I am polite, apply for jobs or at least look for them online or go out to scout out. He keeps calling me a liar and is convinced I am not looking.

I have even gone to this Skills Center place and signed up for a one week Admin course that will end in them helping me find a job. All he does is have a go at me and now hes telling me I am willfully refusing work.

I was given an application to do and due to alot of stupid shit going on I wasnt able to hand it in on time. So I took it in and hes given me a form to fill out about my reasons for why it was late (saying I didnt bring it cause I dont want to work). So I have done and now I have to worry about my JSA being stopped which will effect my rent payments and the course I have signed up for.

Im just really stressed. I still maintain politness and try to do what he wants me to and to do what I want to (to look for work) but nothing I do is good enough and every time I go he treats me like a fucking waste of his time. I dont like being skint and out of work like this. I have had other people handle my JSA case and they havent treated me like this. Its making me really worried all the time that hes going to shut down my JSA entitilement as he keeps looking for reaons to do this all the time.

What can I do to appease him and make things easier? It doenst matter how hard I try he is worse everytime I go :/

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Complain about him, get him sacked, take his job.

Win-win.

Failing this I think its an unfortunate fact that in many organisations - particularly where there is an imbalance of power - you get assholes who simply want to enjoy the ride and make life difficult for people. Try not to let it get to you and keep your head down - that seems to be the best way of dealing with these types especially since it's seldom a permanent situation.
    You didn't find the time to fill out a job application you were handed? I would probably yell at you too and say you weren't actively looking for a job.

I don't see that you can complain about him.
    I'm inclined to agree with Kat here.

I think it would be in everyone's interests for the people working at JSA to try and chivvy people along. There used to be a certain stigma attached to being on the dole...

Seconded.

If you're not managing to get application forms handed in when you've got at least eight more hours a day then most other people, you can't by trying all that hard.

However, I don't think there should be any stigma attached to JSA. If you're looking for a job that's what JSA is for.
    there must be a complaints procedure. he cant actively call you a 'liar'. people do this, especially to young people because they can get away with it. ask to see another advisor. he obviously has issues. you dont need to 'appease' him, if you know yourself that you are trying and seeking work then that's all you need to do.
    On the face of it I'd agree with Kat too, but I've been there myself over the past few weeks. Black and white with most of the JCP.
    I had a problem with one of the JSA advisers a couple of months back. She knew I was deaf and she wouldn't speak up for me. I asked her repeatedly and she wouldn't honour me. I grassed her up to the manager and she was fine next time I saw her. Just look out for a guy who normally walks around the JSA room to keep things in check - he's the manager.

@ Patience, definitely worth a shot. Calling you a "liar" is unprofessional. If I called one of my customers a liar down the telephone, it would have been a disciplinary. Doing it repeatedly like your JSA guy is sackable.

I think it would be in everyone's interests for the people working at JSA to try and chivvy people along. There used to be a certain stigma attached to being on the dole...

i second that.

:yes:

you help them, and they can help you better than they are currently.
    At the end of the day you're getting money for doing nothing. The only thing they demand in return is that you at least make an effort to find a job, any job.
    If you can't hand in your application form on time then I'm not surprised he isn't happy with you.

Looking at jobs online isn't proof that you're actively seeking employment, I suspect he'll only be happy once you're off his case load because you've actually got a job.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    At the end of the day you're getting money for doing nothing. The only thing they demand in return is that you at least make an effort to find a job, any job.
    If you can't hand in your application form on time then I'm not surprised he isn't happy with you.

Looking at jobs online isn't proof that you're actively seeking employment, I suspect he'll only be happy once you're off his case load because you've actually got a job.

so whilst she's getting money for doing 'nothing', he's been paid to treat his clients like scum?

i'm actually offended as a job seeker myself, that people who have f.a respect and customer care skills are in customer facing roles and being paid for it.
    so whilst she's getting money for doing 'nothing', he's been paid to treat his clients like scum?

i'm actually offended as a job seeker myself, that people who have f.a respect and customer care skills are in customer facing roles and being paid for it.

I expect that he probably thinks she is doing naff all to find a job. As I said, looking online at jobs isn't the same as actually applying for jobs which is what he wants. If you're given a simple task to do, such as fill out a form in order to get money, then you do it, especially if you know the bloke who will be deciding if you get paid or not is an utter douche.

Yes I agree, the bloke sounds like an utter cock. He is after one thing, and that is for the OP to be out of his life and he obviously thinks that by being a cock it'll get rid of her.
    Anyway, the initial question was "what can I do?" and the answer really I expect is that you can't do very much. All you can do is apply for as many jobs as possible. You could, of course, complain about his attitude, but I don't really think that the JSA staff are necessarily there to be your friend. (Plus the replacement might be worse.)
    Id rather hope that looking and applying for jobs took precidence over a lot of stuff.

The guy however does sound like he is quite out of line, though on the other hand if everyone in the job centre was lovey dovey then it wouldnt exactly be a good incentive for people getting a job.

Im not saying its ok for people to be mean and nasty to others, yet I cant help feel that in todays society the whole lets love everyone attitude has lead to far too many easy rides for many people.
    Hey there patience,

This sounds like a stressful situation with the man who deals with your Job Centre meetings; not to mention the stress you are already under whilst looking for a job (especially in this economic client).

If you are not comfortable with how you are being treated by him, it would be a good idea go to his manager as soon as possible. There is no need for him to treat you any differently to anyone else. You shouldn't need to feel that you need to do more to appease him; he should remain polite either way.

However, you might want to think about doing what is asked of you in the time frame given, as you have said yourself that not doing so jeopardises other things too.

It's great that you are going to do this course, it will certainly help you to find a job. Good luck with the job hunt.
    :)