Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Council house's and Nadine Dorries

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have just read an article by Nadine Dorries in this mornings paper and frankly i am confused by her moronic ramblings.
She begins by saying that she disagrees with Cameron's housing policy so i initally thought "oh thats good to see someone standing up to him over this"
However she quickly launches into tory mode and blames the Labour goverment for the crisis saying that not enough new homes were built yet a few lines later she is saying we should still allow people to buy their council homes "just like her mother did"
She goes on to fawn at Thatchers feet and drops another clanger in my view by pointing out that the "Big Society" was thatchers dream and she actually started it, which just proves that Cameron is Thatcher without a handbag and all the old thatcherite polices will soon be rebranded and brought back in order to knock the country back another twenty years once again.
Anyway my point is that Dorries can not seriously blame Labour for social housing shortages when it was the tories who sold all the houses off in the first place and her article just doe's not make sense, she begins by blaming Labour then goe's on to list all the great tory policies that created this mess.
The woman is confused!!

Comments

• Options
    I woould of thought, correct me if i'm wrong, that the lack of social housing was caused by the tories with their 'right to buy' and the money going to central government instead of replacing sold housing.
  • Options
    One of these Tories recently said ...we are more radical than Thatcher ...that's scary.
  • Options
    Nadine Dorries writing something utterly nonsensical that contradicts itself is nothing new. Back in the days when she ran her own blog, I eventually had to give up reading it on the grounds I had absolutely no idea what she was going on about half the time. The fact this woman is often promoted as some sort of leading Tory is not only scary, but a terrible indication of what a pathetic shower the Conservative Party is today.

As for the issue at hand, I see no reason why a person should be automatically entitled to live in a council house for the rest of their lives the moment they get in. However, I wouldn't be in favour of immediately turfing people out when their income reaches a certain threshold - that is an utterly daft way of assessing this complex issue.

There is, of course, a much simpler problem to the lack of council house stock - build more houses. In case the Government hasn't noticed, the building industry is dying on its arse. Instead of wasting money on bankers who won't do business with people but are happy to award themselves criminally large bonuses for being failures, let's spend some of it on a council house building programme. By doing this, not only do more council houses become available, but the construction industry gets some badly-needed work to do. Oh, and award the contracts to British companies whilst you're at it.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    There is, of course, a much simpler problem to the lack of council house stock - build more houses.

That's a bit of a radical solution don't you think?
  • Options
    About as radical as saying that a council house should not necessarily be for life (and indeed, bequeathable to one's heirs).
  • Options
    Well, I'd say it's a much more sensible solution than merely making someone homeless once their income goes over a certain level. In the past, if Labour was to mention this sort of idea - back in the days when their party represented the workers and wasn't filled with professional wankers like the millionaire David Miliband - people would have been appalled. The Tories are often keen to accuse Labour of trying to start class wars, but the Tories are guilty here of the very same thing.

And frankly, I think anyone who's arguing in favour of making someone homeless on the grounds they earn more than someone else must be a right cunt.

Which is exactly what Call Me Dave is, as it happens.
  • Options
    Here here, could'nt have put it better myself