Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Appealing a Final Written Warning

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys, I know this should maybe be in Work but it is kinda Law too so :P

Basically, ever since this new depute store manager has come the rules and procedures have been strongly enforced as he's on a fast track to store manager promotion (you can imagine the type)

In March I was given a First written warning for showing "A lack of respect for management" on the basis that I did not contact managmemnt to ask for help on a day when we were short staffed, I (perhaps foolishly) switched off an escalator 20 mins early to stop customers coming up it (they could use the lift/stairs). I didnt ask for help because usually there would be no help available so I thought there was no point.

A couple of weeks ago I had a discussion with a salesfloor manager where she was being a bit cheeky to me and kept telling me I wasnt where I was meant to be at a specific time (which I know I was) The discussion got a bit heated because I kept stating my point to her and she kept dismissing it. Turns out the time on the tills (which she was going by) and the time on the clock in my department have a 5 minute difference - this has been addressed.

I was told that I showed disrespect by arguing with her and that I had no right to speak to her "in that tone". I replied that I think it is fair and right to speak to someone in the same way they speak to me. This has been noted and regarded as a disregard for authority. I feel like I am going round in circles. It seems that I am not allowed to argue my point and that it is OK for managers to speak to staff however they like because "managers have authority and by their position should automatically have your respect".

Everyone is schocked that it's gone this far as the manager in question is pretty cheeky but everyone knows that's just the way she comes across and she usually deals with any problems she has herself. We've never had a problem before this.

I havent had a thing on my file since 2006 and since all of this I have escalated to a final written warning in the space of 5/6 months. I am appealing against this but I wanted people's opinions first.

Thanks

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    One of the golden rules of working is, you don't argue or enter into "discussion" with your boss. She is your boss, end of.

If your boss isn't happy with you for something as minor as this just nod your head and say "yes sir, no sir, 3 bags full sir".

I have a colleague who is constantly back-chatting our boss, and it makes me cringe. He's going to get himself into hot water one day which we've warned him about
    First issue - turning off the escalator sounds like a perfectly reasonable reason to discipline you. The whole basis of the business is to sell.

Second - you don't say how you talked to your boss, but you seem to have overlooked who holds the power in the relationship there. In case you still haven't worked it out, your boss does! It's one thing to say, "I'm sorry, but I think you are wrong because...." and another to have an argument with them.

It's worth appealing on the basis of it being a harsh punishment, and because a Final Warning is something which affects a future reference, however don't expect to win.
    Hi there and thanks for posting,

Have there been any further developments since you last posted?

Work life can have us all stressed out even at the best of times. We seek our colleagues more than our family and friends in some cases and this can eventually lead to conflicts and tension.

It is important to remember that you are all adults in the work place and that both employee and employer need to show respect towards each other for the relationship to work. There is no point in arguing with each other, as you have to work with each other in any event.

It might be an idea to sit down with her and maybe another manager, to discuss what you are happy with but what you are not happy with. She can also do the same, and hopefully you can come to an agreement.

As this situation has escalated to written warnings, and you have received the last written warning, it would be a good idea to come to an agreement quickly to end the tension as soon as possible as well as going through the appeals procedure.

You may also like to contact ACAS - 'Acas (Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service) aims to improve organisations and working life through better employment relations'. They have a lot of information on their website which you might like to go through first. Alternatively, they have a helpline which you can call 08457 47 47 47. (Monday to Friday, 08:00-20:00 / Saturday, 09:00-13:00)

Hope this helps.

:)