Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

hypothetical

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
american joe is the president of america.
he starts a nuclear war with palestine with several million kills. what would be the outcome of his personal and political life?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    he starts a nuclear war with palestine with several million kills. what would be the outcome of his personal and political life?

Election for a 2nd term during which there is an unsuccessful assassination attempt.

Eventually dies at the age of 88 due to pneumonia complications.
    He makes millions in the "after dinner speaker" circuit.

Oh, and Nobel Peace Prize, natch.
    By "starts a nuclear war with Palestine" are we assuming that Palestine not only has nuclear warheads but also the capability to deliver them? Or are you asking what would happen if the president were to one day just drop the bomb on Palestine?

I'm pretty sure either way he'd would be thrown out of office and possibly assassinated or wiped out in the ensuing nuclear war (depending on the scenario).
    you're assuming that the president actually has a red button on his desk.

The only time he can launch a nuke without getting the permission of congress is if the military call him up and tell him that they are about to get bombed. He can't just do it himself when the mood takes him.
    What a weird op...
    What a weird op...
    Quite...

That sounds like a plot for a James Bond film during the Cold War. They only *think* that the Americans fired the nukes, but it was actually SPECTRE.
    What a weird op...

I agree. And the fact that he/she uses the term 'american joe ' is a little weird too. Its almost a throwback to the old WWII propaganda by Germany and Japan.

Methinks 'absoluteruler' is a fundamentalist of some kind.
    Teagan wrote: »
    I agree. And the fact that he/she uses the term 'american joe ' is a little weird too. Its almost a throwback to the old WWII propaganda by Germany and Japan.

Methinks 'absoluteruler' is a fundamentalist of some kind.

Probably

Though to answer the question as any nuclear attack on Palestine would also turn Israel into a wasteland I suspect that the US President might well die in the Israeli counter-strike
    Probably

Though to answer the question as any nuclear attack on Palestine would also turn Israel into a wasteland I suspect that the US President might well die in the Israeli counter-strike
    Well that's one way to solve the Middle East conflict :D
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Well that's one way to solve the Middle East conflict :D

Hence the Noble Peace Prize... ;)
    How many US citizens hate Truman? Yet he was the only US president ever to order the use of nukes. And even today, most in the USA would say he was justified to do so (I don't think he was, but that's by the by here).

If a US/Palestine war was seen as a just one in the USA, I think people there would support it. The President there who ordered the use of nukes would be seen as a hero, since Americans like to idolise war veterans. This is why they voted in Ike Eisenhower, and practically in every presidential election, the candidates promote how they fought in such and such war.
    kira wrote: »
    How many US citizens hate Truman? Yet he was the only US president ever to order the use of nukes. And even today, most in the USA would say he was justified to do so (I don't think he was, but that's by the by here).

I suspect most of the world would argue a case for him too.
    If a US/Palestine war was seen as a just one in the USA, I think people there would support it. The President there who ordered the use of nukes would be seen as a hero, since Americans like to idolise war veterans. This is why they voted in Ike Eisenhower, and practically in every presidential election, the candidates promote how they fought in such and such war.

You overlook the fact that the President is also National Command Authority, in charge of the entire US Military.
    MoK wrote: »
    I suspect most of the world would argue a case for him too.

I'm not sure about that.

You overlook the fact that the President is also National Command Authority, in charge of the entire US Military.

He is Commander-in-chief of the armed forces, so yes I agree.