Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Getting fit. jogging etc

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Fed up. Need something to do.

I have been thinking about starting to go jogging/get fit but I never do anything about it. I used to cycle when I could, but haven't done that for at least 3 years. I only cycle when I go to Scotland on holiday. This year I think I went on my bike once, When I normally go on it every morning for 6 days on holiday!!!!

I not overweight. I have an average figure. I'm not happy with the way I look......(basically I think I need a makeover, but that's not going to happen.)

How would I go about starting to jog?

I sometimes run to work from where I park my car and I get worn out.

When I was at school doing P.E. (seems like a decade!! lol) we used to run around the school. I got a pain in my chest and it has never changed whenever I run.

I need to get fit!!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would pick an activity that sounds like fun, rather than jogging for the sake of it. Since you already have a bike, which is more exciting for you out of jogging or cycling?
    Can you not park your car further away from work (like a few miles) and then walk briskly to work from there? I find exercise with a point, like to get from A to B lots more satisfying than just going to the gym or running for the sake of it.
    I run. Can't say I care for it much, but it's a means to an end.

I would cycle more if I lived in the sticks, but in the centre of London, it's not that great.

My favourite way of keeping fit is footy, but the season doesn't start til September.
    jogging can be fun, but not alone! I do it sometimes with one or two friends - I like it:)
    Running/jogging is fantastic exercise. If you're a beginner don't try to flat our run for 20 minutes. Start off gently, get yourself used to it. Try a 20 minute work out - walking for 2 minutes, jogging for a minute, walking for two, jogging for one, etc.

You can find some good info online. Do a google search for 'running for beginners', and you'll get some great work out plans/tips.

Good luck!
    i used to like the treadmill until i fell off and twisted my kneck.

:no:

put me off it for life.

still like the stepping machine though and the excercise bikes/ rowing boats you can get
    i used to like the treadmill until i fell off and twisted my kneck.

Oh my god, that must have been a bad fall. :eek:

If I'm running fast-ish, I have to look straight ahead, or I feel myself losing balance. I'm not very co-ordinated. :d
    Fed up. Need something to do.

I have been thinking about starting to go jogging/get fit but I never do anything about it. I used to cycle when I could, but haven't done that for at least 3 years. I only cycle when I go to Scotland on holiday. This year I think I went on my bike once, When I normally go on it every morning for 6 days on holiday!!!!

I not overweight. I have an average figure. I'm not happy with the way I look......(basically I think I need a makeover, but that's not going to happen.)

How would I go about starting to jog?

I sometimes run to work from where I park my car and I get worn out.

When I was at school doing P.E. (seems like a decade!! lol) we used to run around the school. I got a pain in my chest and it has never changed whenever I run.

I need to get fit!!

Hey,
    We do the school jog and 3 miles jog every P.E lesson now I'm the fastest and the best at long distance. Yyou can't run straight away you have to do warm ups and you need to be active more walks everyday to park or shops like me. After waalking a lot a few miles at leaast and hoppefully not getting tired you can try that what youu call what you walk on and try turning thespeed up and do it for a few mins at first and then go to 2hrs after you have done less I do 2hrs every day its fun and then you should hopefully be ready for a long jog so go out take your ipod mp3 player or something and jog andd keep making it longer each day I do 10k every sunday and 5k on all the rest of the days then wheen you come back home after all that you do it again tommorow it'll probaberbly take you at least a year x

Good luck x

And why don't you like your body image and why do you think you can't get a make over don't put your self down if you believe in your self you will be able to do it.

Put some skipping in I have a frilly pink rope which is gorge its not the wool one but the plastic rough one that will also help fit that in x
    Sorry for the late reply, had trouble with my computer rebooting all the time. Its ok now.

Katralla
    I am more interested in cycling really. I enjoyed cycling 8 miles to work and back a few years ago (1hr to get there and shockingly 2hrs to get back home).

I always take my bike on holiday with me. Last year I cycled about 2 miles every morning over 6 days. But this year in May I only cycled once!
    I always think to myself that I'll cycle 11miles going uphill and downhill to a town, but I never do. I need to cycle more at home before I do that. I keep meaning to do more cycling but I just never can be bothered.