Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Your best job?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What is everyone's best past or current job?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I worked in a chemistry lab when I was 18, it was pretty cool. I did some quite technical stuff. I really enjoyed the work.
    Working on the lights in a nightclub when I undertook my year 10 work experience.
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Working on the lights in a nightclub when I undertook my year 10 work experience.

Oh yeah, school work experience was great :D I did working for the Transport Research Laboratory for mine, doing crash testing. I got to dress the crash test dummies and make switches!
    childrens rep for a holiday company in menorca :)
    volunteering as a 'p.a' for one of my really good friends at a community centre who has been a bit of a mentor to me. he's really eccentric and super smart and i had such a laugh. he made me do things too (like leading a consultation with parents outside a school :nervous: ) by simply telling me 'it will be good for you'. he was right and i still think he's amazing :thumb:
    IT Helpdesk at an MOD site, it wasn't so much the job (that was annoying and sometimes frustrating but good experience) it was more my colleagues and the weirdness of the site i was on :P lots of wacky scientists and military bods (yum)
    Which site were you on Ska? I did your job at MOD Abbey Wood (Bristol) in my uni gap year 10 years ago. I did quite like the job but the environment was too laid back. The clubbing was great though :-) My next job was IT helpdesk for a small firm and that was much busier.
    probably the job i have now. pity it looks like i'm not going to have it for much longer :grump:

i'm a police community support officer.
    I did web and graphic design in Ecuador for 7 months back in '05-'06 which was a fucking hoot. Had my own office, own bathroom and generally lived like a king.

Current job in the City is pretty good too. Certainly keeps me in the manner to which I'm accustomed.
    Which site were you on Ska? I did your job at MOD Abbey Wood (Bristol) in my uni gap year 10 years ago. I did quite like the job but the environment was too laid back. The clubbing was great though :-) My next job was IT helpdesk for a small firm and that was much busier.

Ahhh Abbey Wood, i have worked 'with' them as well, on hardware support scheduling (i was based in Bracknell, but liaised with them)

I was at AWE, Aldermaston :heart:
    probably the job i have now. pity it looks like i'm not going to have it for much longer :grump:

i'm a police community support officer.

you'll be fine :thumb:
    Archivist when i worked for the government at Herstmonceux Castel.

Archiving diaries, account books, note, papers etc of past astronomer royals. Solar plates (photos of the sun on a glass tile) and artifical eclipes of the sun and anythig to do with chronometers (clocks accurate and stable enough to use for navigation on ships).

Something new everyday and the best bit ? I WORKED IN A FUCKING CASTLE :D
    Castles are awesome innit. I can't say I've worked in one RS, but I do live about a mile from Stafford Castle :-)
    Castles are awesome innit.

Oh, and as well as working in a castle, i got to play with this
    I'm to young to work, but I had done work expieriance and I will again in yr 10 i worked with boots got freebies like lip stick and make up and everything.
    I really enjoyed the time I spent doing guided horseback riding tours with tourists. Got a lot of good memories from that time in my life.

I'm now an air traffic controller. I like the nature of the job as it appeals to my competetive side. However I've already decided it's not a job I want to do for the rest of my working life.
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Oh, and as well as working in a castle, i got to play with this

An interplanetary death ray?
    I worked as an inspector of boobies for a while. Nothing official, mind.
    An interplanetary death ray?

An SLR, sattelite laser ranger. Used to find sattleites in the sky. Where they are, how far away they are, orbit etc. People used to phone up from all over the world and we'd tell em. Works like triangualtion for radio signals.

Did a few nights taking calls and was allowed to press the big red death ray button :D