Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Still can't update firefox on linux!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is driving me up the wall >_<

so i've found out my system is running Xandros, found out how to use the apt-get tool and i've upgraded the BIOS from 0801 to 1001, to no avail!

I 'install' firefox latest version, it tells me it is missing dependencies? (one i can make out seems to be flash) and then when i do 'check for upgrades' in firefox, it spends forever 'connecting' and does nowt. i'm still stuck with bloody 2.0.0.11

I can't reply to emails, easily use youtube or myspace!!

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ok, forgot about the BIOS upgrade, i did upgrade it, but then i couldn't open firefox or install any programs at all, so i did a factory restore - apparently it is now 1312 :/
    what errors do you get, and have you tried using the synaptic point'n'click stuff instead of apt-get?
    I'm no expert.
    For the last twelve months this pc has been running on UBUNTU Jaunty Jackalope.
    The last three months I started having problems with firefox.
    The main problem being Not being able to type into a forum like I'm doing now.
    Most other things were ok.
    I could not resolve the issue.
    So about six weeks ago I refomatted and installed MINT HELENA.
    Very fast and smooth.
    I'm impressed but ...having problems with Firefox.
    So ...I've given up with it and gone Google Chrome for Linux.
    Sorry I'm no help am I but ...it might be there problem not yours is what I'm thinking.
    Firefox seems to have lost it.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Where did you get that system from? Using Xandros :|

In any case, after a quick search for information I made, it seems it's using its own package management system, so getting things from other systems (like apt) isn't going to be easy.
    Apparently you can only download packages from its own system by paying -which for a linux distro is ridiculous.
    I'm using an old eeePC notebook for my travels (i think it's like 2007 or something!)
    I've sucessfully upgraded firefox :D it was all to do with this shell package i needed to dl before upgrading *sigh* took me a week to figure it out!
    I can't wait to get back to windows (never thought id hear myelf say that....)

I'm sure linux is great, but.. i'm lazy :P
    :chin: Hi,
    I've just updated my firefox. Why do you not download Chrome it's like Mozilla Firefox but faster and quicker and does not need updateing and it's also very simple to use and it's virus free Xx :chin:
    naw im good w/firefox i can't be bothered to go through another ordeal! xx
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    There's many distros, and many of them are a lot easier to use than that one. I'd suggest you try something else before giving up entirely. Going back to virus infections is a big price to pay :p
    i used to have one of those eeepcs, they mighty good for being on the go, anyway, what i recommend is changing the operating system as asus no longer supports linux eeepcs, and they virtually never updated their repositories....

i'm guessing it's a 700 or 701 model right? what size hard drive does yours have, it's either 2gig or 4gig