Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Aren't people judgemental these days?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I don't know anyone can tell what someone is like just because they have an iPad :rolleyes:
http://tech.uk.msn.com/gaming/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=154261299&ocid=today

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When it involves the Daily Mail on the first sentence, I just... :yeees:
    I try and be as judgemental as possible :thumb:
    I'm in agreement with you, lea, but the article also made me think of this:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/new-device-desirable-old-device-undesirable,2862/

That article 100% replicates what goes through my mind every time someone gets out their new phone to show me, or their new iPad, or iPod, or iPissed.

So while I don't judge people quite that harshly by their technology, I do wish they'd just read a real live book or talk to a real live person a bit more.
    The press seems to think that tablet PCs didn't exist until the iPad came out this year. I was selling tablet PCs as far back as 2003, and they existed as far back as 2001. Bollocks to the press and Apple :-)
    I reserve my right to be annoyed by anything to do with Apple Computer.
    Apple products seem to be becoming more and more a lifestyle accessory. If you ever get the chance go into an Apple store. It'll make you do a little sick in your mouth.
    Apple products are, on the whole, pretty good. I have an iPhone and had an iPod and I did like them.

However, there's such a snobbery and general twattishness that comes from the hardcore Apple afficionados. Nowhere is this more prevalent in the Apple Mac. iPods are fairly ubiquitous and thus more or less harmless. Macs on the otherhand attract such hordes of amazing fanboys that it's hard to remain impartial. Charlie Brooker, as ever, sums it up better than I ever could:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2007/feb/05/comment.media

Best quote:

"Macs are glorified Fisher-Price activity centres for adults; computers for scaredy cats too nervous to learn how proper computers work; computers for people who earnestly believe in feng shui."
    I do wish they'd just read a real live book or talk to a real live person a bit more.

Whilst I don't disagree, I love the irony of someone posting that on a discussion board.
    Apple products seem to be becoming more and more a lifestyle accessory. If you ever get the chance go into an Apple store. It'll make you do a little sick in your mouth.

Yeah, and don't get me started on "Is it an iPod or an MP3 player?" :-) The iPod is still an MP3 player, but 'soulbound' to iTunes.
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Yeah, and don't get me started on "Is it an iPod or an MP3 player?" :-) The iPod is still an MP3 player, but 'soulbound' to iTunes.

iTunes, like the software that comes installed on an iPod, is the embodiment of shit software. You can get round iTunes by using Sharepod. I'm yet to find a way of getting round the iPod's software. Woe betide anyone who ever wants to add a compilation album to their iPod. Why can't it display my music the same way I keep in on my hard drive, in folders? I suspect it's because Mac users have absolutely no concept of hard drives and directory structure. I guess we'll have to wait for them to figure our the benefits of two buttons on your mouse first.
    Yeah, my Creative Zen Mozaic doesn't understand directory structure either. It scans the 'Album' field within the ID3 tag of every MP3, then sorts them by the album. It took a bit of getting used to, but MP3 tagging is common practice. I've got a freebie program called Mp3tag that does it in batch. The main good thing with my Mozaic though is that you can manage your files using plain ol' Explorer like you'd do with a memory stick.
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Yeah, my Creative Zen Mozaic doesn't understand directory structure either.

It would be one of my top priorities if I were writing software for an MP3 player. Surely everyone keeps their music in folders using a taxonomy of their preference?
    The thing is, the Iphone and Ipad aren't even "that" great, for example the Iphone doesn't have multiaplication support, doesn't support flash websites and even needs to be held in a particular way, there are tons of better phones out there, mostly using Android,

as for the Ipad

ipad_vs_hp_tc_1100.jpg Need I say much more?

Fair enough I don't believe the HP TC has wireless/3g but STILL.
    Yeah we were selling Acer tablet PCs and PaceBlades in 2003.
    There's also a Winamp plugin for the iPod. The big advantage is that you can copy music from the iPod onto your computer.
    ipad-vs-kindle-vs-rock.jpg
    The only thing I like about Apple's stuff is the iPod Touch, but not without a ton of modifications done to it - that, and generally hacking their stuff.