Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Griffin Banned for Palace

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
BBC Story

Do you think that this was the correct action? Isn't Nick Griffin an elected representative from the UK?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    MoK wrote: »
    BBC Story

Do you think that this was the correct action? Isn't Nick Griffin an elected representative from the UK?

In this case yes, they were right. if they'd banned him because he was the leader of the BNP that would have been wrong, but they banned him because he was basically trying to drag the Queen into a political stunt.

Serves him right...
    BBC Story

On the basis that the Palace said they would ban ANY guest that used the invitation for publicity purposes, yes, they did the right thing.
    The queen etc. is supposed to be apolitical so certainly im not surprised they ban anyone trying to bring politics into it.
    TBH I think that they did the right thing, although I'd rather that they hadn't invited him in the first place.

As ShyBoy says, the Queen is supposed to be apolitical and you cannot use a meeting with her to further your own political ambitions.

As a "patriot", you think he'd know better and treat her with the upmost respect.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. Nick Griffin is a terminally useless, attention-seeking fuckwit. If he was going to go on a round of media-whoring, he shouldn't be surprised when it comes back to bite him on the arse later. I think the right decision was made, though the Palace didn't really have a choice. If they hadn't, anyone with an invitation could have started boasting about it for political purposes.

I'd also like to declare that the Unite Against Fascism are a bunch of fascist wankers.
    TBH I think that they did the right thing, although I'd rather that they hadn't invited him in the first place.

In the sense he'd rather not got elected i'd agree, in the sense that they should exclude certain MEPs because there views aren't liked I disagree.
    Talk about barking up the wrong tree! The biggest threat to this country isn't the BNP who want ultra strict immigration control.

This country's problems are many such as mass unemployment, homelessness, the public debt, the disasterous war in Afghanistan, radicalised home grown muslims etc.

But rather than face those REAL problems people have to have a pop at the BNP.
    In the sense he'd rather not got elected i'd agree, in the sense that they should exclude certain MEPs because there views aren't liked I disagree.

He was'nt excluded because of his views, we live in a democratic free country hence you can hold whatever views you like, even if they are vile hate filled views like his.
    From what i understand he was trying to use the invite to self publicise which is against the rules.
    Louisek wrote: »
    He was'nt excluded because of his views, we live in a democratic free country hence you can hold whatever views you like, even if they are vile hate filled views like his.
    From what i understand he was trying to use the invite to self publicise which is against the rules.

That's what I said in the second post in the thread

http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showpost.php?p=2336812&postcount=2
    As a "patriot", you think he'd know better and treat her with the upmost respect.

Maybe it's because she's not strictly "indigenous"?

Anyhoo, yes, they were right to ban him. Quite aside from the fact that he's a despicable human being, rules are rules and he broke them.
    Kaff wrote: »
    Maybe it's because she's not strictly "indigenous"?
    The Queen is a white woman, so I doubt it would bother Griffin and his knuckle-draggers too much that she's not a native Brit.
    Kaff wrote: »
    Anyhoo, yes, they were right to ban him. Quite aside from the fact that he's a despicable human being, rules are rules and he broke them.
    Why is he despicable? Because he speaks the truth about the fact that Britain is being swamped by millions of immigrants!
    Goldsword wrote: »
    Why is he despicable? Because he speaks the truth about the fact that Britain is being swamped by millions of immigrants!

No, because he's a racist and a bigot.
    Goldsword wrote: »
    Britain is being swamped by millions of immigrants!
    It isn't.

Next!
    Ah, he's been finally banned.

Good.
    I'd love to see Nick Griffin on Who Do You think You Are, I'm sure he might get the shock of his life.
    Aladdin wrote: »

Again.

He'll be back.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    You mean Mr Scottish Play himself? Thou who shalt not be named? ;)
    I'm not sure why we're regarding the silencing of those who's views we don't like as a good thing. I understand why its done, but I still think its rephrensible
    I'm not sure why we're regarding the silencing of those who's views we don't like as a good thing. I understand why its done, but I still think its rephrensible

It's not silencing the views of those we don't like. It's trolls who refuse to take part in debate and just keep signing up under different names to peddle a message on forums.

We have had non-trolls banned before (klintock) just because he would never engage in debate properly and always turned every topic into a 'society doesnt exist' argument.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    It's not silencing the views of those we don't like. It's trolls who refuse to take part in debate and just keep signing up under different names to peddle a message on forums.

We have had non-trolls banned before (klintock) just because he would never engage in debate properly and always turned every topic into a 'society doesnt exist' argument.

There is an ignore button and even if there wasn't we don't have to read them. It just seems we all hark on about freedom of speech until it effects us.
    There is an ignore button and even if there wasn't we don't have to read them. It just seems we all hark on about freedom of speech until it effects us.

Yea well I had him on ignore :p but I guess the mods make their own decision based on their own criteria. It may well be the case that goldsword was banned previously under a different name, in which case if they trace that back to him it's another automatic ban.