Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Feeling as though I have let people down

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Today my mum told me that she knew about my self harm and that she had seen the scars. I think she has known for a while but has never told me. I was a bit annoyed that my parents found out about it afterwards because I felt like I had moved on and never want to go back to self harm. I'm worried that they will start asking questions about why I did it and things like that, and I don't really want to tell them/answer those questions. Any advice on what to do or say?
Also I feel like I have let them down and disappointed them. I love my parents a lot and don't want them to think it was their fault. My mum is fine with me, we are still very close, I just feel a bit awkward around her. Any advice or help would be appriciated as I feel a bit confused about my feelings and what to do with the sitution as my family mean a lot to me and I don't want to upset them. Thank you x

Comments

• luc_bluc_b Posts: 45 Boards Initiate
    Hi limesquashx

This must be a really hard situation to have to deal with. It's always a bit of a shock when someone finds something out that you didn't intend for them to know about.

I would imagine that rather than disappointing your parents, they're just worried about you and want to make sure that you're not hurting any more.

Have they started asking questions yet? As rosierawrz says, it could be a good opportunity to open up and talk about how you feel to them. It sounds like you have a good relationship with your mum - maybe try sitting down with her and telling her how you feel. This article on self harm and how it effects relationships may be helpful.

Take care of yourself and let us know how you're getting on :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thank you both of you :)
    They haven't started asking questions yet, I'm not even sure if my dad knows. If they ask I will try and be as honest as I can.
    I am going on holiday for the next two weeks, so hopefully that will go okay. I seem to still try and hide them and it can be a bit awkward. I'm sure it will get better. Thank you again x
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's best if you be honest goodluck with it all and enjoy your holiday and don't worry your self.