Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The end of ASBOs?

The government has hinted it might do away with ASBOs.

Do you agree or disagree with such move? What should they be replaced by, if anything?

It's probably a good thing. I don't have figures at hand (don't know if they exist) but I have to wonder how effective really were. I suspect repeat offenders simply collected them like one might collect stamps. I should imagine the Courts will be able to deal with offenders without ASBOs.

Some were issued under rather farcical circumstances as well. Like a suicidal woman who was given one banning her from entering a bridge, lest she try to jump again.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A lot of the naughty guys took their ASBO with pride, almost cherishing it, so I think a different system will be for the better.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Best rid of.

Was just an over the top reaction to the fear-mongering and panic whipped up by the press about the yoof of today.
    Weekender Offender 
    ASBO = status symbol.
    Doesn't really mean anything. No doubt something to replace it would be just as useless.
    but, but, but, I haven't got one yet!
    katralla wrote: »
    but, but, but, I haven't got one yet!

Looks like you've missed the boat on this one then. Now you'll NEVER be cool!
    I'm going to have to disagree. I do agree whole heartedly that they don't prevent offending. They do however provide a respite to people. Members of public who know that if X does something to them for the 200th time, X will end up in prison.

For instance, standing on somebody's garden and pissing on their car, on it's own isn't a noteworthy offence in terms of the law. £80 fine at best. But when it's happened to you countless times, being told that the offender will get a warning, or a fine doesn't provide reassurance that it won't happen again.

So I say keep ASBOs, but bring in other methods of punishing people as well. I'd particularly like the power to order reparative payments on the spot. If someone damages someone else's property then they get taken to a cash point or made to fix what they broke. They'd soon get bored of kicking fences down if they had to repair them every time.
    and circumvent the right to a fiar trial? Yeah right, do one!

Don't forget what job he does ;)

So you're saying if someone is caught in the act of smshing a window, who admits guilt immediately and who would rather repay/repair the damage than be arrested and goto court, still should have a trial? Reparative justice works and reduces reoffending. Its also far quicker and cheaper to implement. Do you also disagree with drunks caught urinating in the street being made to mop up the mess in order to avoid being prosecuted?
    They should still have the RIGHT to have a fair trial.
    They should still have the RIGHT to have a fair trial.

Where did I say they shouldn't?

I proposed a more efficient, victim friendly way of dealing with criminals who have
    1)comitted a minor crime, such as damage/grafitti/theft
    2)Have admitted guilt
    3)Want to avoid prosecution.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I'd particularly like the power to order reparative payments on the spot.

?
    I see where Katralla is coming from, you can't really force someone to a cash point to pay for damages, specially if you never witnessed the crime, it should still go to court.

Fines don't pay anyway, £80 for pissing in the street is over the top, asking for cash up front for damage is just ridiculous.