Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Iphone OS 4 READ

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
If you're thinking of upgrading and you've got the 3g model (not so much the 3gs) then save your time and don't bother.

I upgraded the other day and it's pretty much cocked up the phone. Everything runs so much slower and the phone has started crashing out of apps as well. I can't even restore it to the old operating system. GARGH
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah, you don't get anything new really, since everything is disabled.

You can downgrade. You firstly have to downgrade your version of iTunes, and then you need to alter your hosts file so it uses Cydia's verifcation server so it will allow the restore.

iTunes: http://hackstor.blogspot.com/2010/06/downgrade-itunes-92-to-911-macwindows.html
    iOS 3.1.3: http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/iPhone/061-7468.20100202.pbnrt/iPhone1,2_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw
    Verification: Add this to your hosts file, 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
  • Options
    only problem is you lose everything unless the backup from before the upgrade was saved.....which mine wasn't.
  • Options
    Well that's obvious? :/
  • Options
    It didn't make it obvious at the time. A decent company would have offered you the chance to backup the previous OS and give you the option of downgrading if you so choose.
  • Options
    iTunes by default backs up the OS before anything, unless you tell it not to automatically. That's why the advice is to sync before you upgrade or restore. But yeah, Apple has done this for pretty much everything.
  • Options
    It did backup before the upgrade, but then it overwrote the backup file almost immediately.
  • Options
    I've had zero problems TBH
  • Options
    I think it's a gamble. A lot of people have done, some haven't.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    If you're thinking of upgrading and you've got the 3g model (not so much the 3gs) then save your time and don't bother.

I upgraded the other day and it's pretty much cocked up the phone. Everything runs so much slower and the phone has started crashing out of apps as well. I can't even restore it to the old operating system. GARGH

i have upgraded my iphone's firmaware , its working fine .
  • Options
    Lucky you.....

Mine's still pants.