Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Weed for pain

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone know anything about using weed for pain relief? I had pretty major surgery 8 months ago and I'm still going through the rehabilitation process/physio. But pain has always been a big problem both before and after the surgery and I'm currently taking morphine/tramadol etc. The pain is often so bad that I can't sleep which just makes everything worse.

A couple of people have suggested I give weed a try. Does anyone have any experience or know if I'm likely to benefit from it all?

Any input is gratefully received – thanks!!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I hurt my back a couple of years ago and while weed may not have taken the pain away as such, it certainly distracted me from the pain.

But I know of a few people that swear by it's pain-relieving properties and I believe that some pharmaceutical drugs have recently been developed based on the pain-relieving properties.

It's worth a shot.
    Hey

It always helped me with period pain/cramps/pms but not much with other pain... I dont smoke anymore thankully (caused me other problems mentally in the long run though) and on another note I dont get periods anymore so its not a problem either.

When I first began somking it would help me sleep but as it started messing me up in my head after years and years it made it harder to sleep. So if you were thinking of doing it short term then it could help just dont let it become a habit. I know Weed isnt much of a 'big deal' but I have had good and bad experiences with it and know it isnt worth taking too lightly.

Hope you find something that helps with the pain =)
    be careful not to get addicted to tobacco if you smoke it, smoke it alone, or even better eat it. i cant remember using it for pain relief but like curly said, distraction would be best, damn sight beats the meds your on, tramadol to me was a nightmare to come off..

on a side note if coming off yours meds is hard, remember you can taper/slowly cut down, even if this means opening the capsules and mixing the tram powder with juice... i suffer coming off those kinda meds, not sure about morphine, but tramadol made me itchy and anxious
    and careful dont pig out on the munchies too much if you have some weed, keep food light and healthy, apple or some veg's will help your back heal too
    I use it for pain relief and pleasure ...but believe it or not rarely at the same time.
    If you have no experience with cannabis at all ...the side effects can be a bit disturbing.
    If you have some experience then you'll know what I mean.
    For pain you should smoke tiny ammounts ...like 20p worth in a one skinner about every hour maybe two.
    It is very difficult to dose which makes it impossible for me to say what a sensible dose is for you.

I'm awaiting an appointment with the pain clinic who are going to decide whether or not to give me Sativex ...liquid cannabis in a spray.
    More cos I'm curious to see if the prescribed stuff is any good as opposed to what comes out the greenhouse.
    I use it for pain relief and pleasure ...but believe it or not rarely at the same time.
    If you have no experience with cannabis at all ...the side effects can be a bit disturbing..

could you explain a bit more, about why not at the same time, im confused.
    As for the spray, i would no doubt be thinking of drinking it. hehe
    could you explain a bit more, about why not at the same time, im confused.
    As for the spray, i would no doubt be thinking of drinking it. hehe

I don't always want to get stoned/high so have very small amounts which do me for the pain.
    I can feel it mentally as in just enough to lift my spirits a little which is very good and unique in a pain killer.

I'm sure drinking the spray will be done by many.
    It is liquid cannabis so why not!:d
    I have recently been prescribed Amitriptyline to take before bed, for pain. Haven't been on it long and it seems to help. Perhaps something like that would be better for you? and.. legal..
    Nutter wrote: »
    I have recently been prescribed Amitriptyline to take before bed, for pain. Haven't been on it long and it seems to help. Perhaps something like that would be better for you? and.. legal..

I get that too but industrial medicine is not really healthy medicine most of the time.
    Cannabis is very healthy for the majority of medicinal users.
    I get that too but industrial medicine is not really healthy medicine most of the time.
    Cannabis is very healthy for the majority of medicinal users.

fair enough. I don't take cannabis myself. much less hassle to get repeat prescription.
    Nutter wrote: »
    fair enough. I don't take cannabis myself. much less hassle to get repeat prescription.

My repeat prescription for cannabis is pretty easy too!

It isn'f everyone ...some people do not like it at all.
    Usually cos they have way to much.
    If your thinking of trying it as medicine ...tiny bits and build it up.
    Theres no tolerance either.
    Years later the same amount still does the trick.
    it's not worth the mental issues weed can cause. i'd say stick with the Morphine and Tramadol
    Being naive here but surely the mental issues would be much worse from strong opiates than from small doses of weed?
    Being naive here but surely the mental issues would be much worse from strong opiates than from small doses of weed?

This is the bit that always riled me.
    I have some damage to my spine and in the house I have very strong opiates which I hardly touch.
    When on opiates daily they grind you down physicaly and mnentally.
    Stomach problems addiction problems and that down feeling they induce after long usage but cannabis ....none of those problems.
    nd one very welcome side effect which no other pain killer gives is that lifting of the spirit that helps you combat the pain with a positive attitude and a smile and I'm being deadly serious.
    There are those who do not like it ...a rare few who shouldn't be allowed near it but as medicine ...in medicinal doses ....it makes far more sense than heroin ....of which codeine and morphine are pretty much the same thing.
    I've been offered methadone and refused flatly ....I'd get nothing done and it's more addictive than heroin.
    Opium I'd say yes to but it's derivatives ...no thank you.
    Thank you everyone. All of your advice has been really helpful.

As people have said I agree it's not something I'm looking to as a long term cure but in the short term it may be beneficial and and I often feel it can't be any worse than the painkillers I'm already taking and the side effects/dependency issues that come with them. Although obviously if you can find a medical professional who is willing to spend the time working with you to find the most beneficial combination of prescription drugs with the least side effects that would be much easier, but unfortunately I have found that they are much more keen on handing out prescriptions without real thought and long term monitoring. I'd much prefer to be able to take control and find out if I can improve on the situation for myself. (Thanks for the advice about cutting back on the painkillers too!)

I don't have much experience with weed, just the odd bit here and there when around friends who used it, so think it will take a bit of experimentation to find out how much etc. I will definitely try the approach of using very small amounts and building it up to see at what level I can get pain killing benefits without the stronger effects.

I'm awaiting an appointment with the pain clinic who are going to decide whether or not to give me Sativex ...liquid cannabis in a spray. More cos I'm curious to see if the prescribed stuff is any good as opposed to what comes out the greenhouse.

I'd definitely be interested to hear your thoughts on it if they do decide to give it to you!

Thanks again everyone, it's been really helpful to hear different peoples' viewpoints and experiences and will definitely taking tham all on board.