Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Arab man guilty of rape after consensual sex with Jew

Where else?

Not for the first time, words fucking fail me about that regime.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    He was guilty of "rape by deception".

There was deception, sure, but the word "rape" shouldn't come into this at all.

Does this mean that someone who lies about their job, salary, social status, or how well-endowed they are can be found guilty of rape? Ridiculous.
  • Options
    I know it is ridiculus
  • Options
    sanitize wrote: »

Does this mean that someone who lies about their job, salary, social status, or how well-endowed they are can be found guilty of rape? Ridiculous.
    That's certainly one part of the problem. The other is that you can bet your house the outcome of an Israeli Arab woman reporting an Israeli Jewish man for the same trick would be rather different.

Israel has a number of race-related laws and attitudes that are every bit as repugnant and abominable as those of Apartheid South Africa.
  • Options
    I think the blame on this one lies on the woman - simply because she was not coerced, she took the decision to have sex with this man on false information.

Everyone lies, if you can't be sure they're telling the truth (about their religion, contraception, fertility, whatever) then don't fucking have sex. Not so hard is it?
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I think the blame on this one lies on the woman

No doubt about that at all.
  • Options
    This is not really on the subject of Israel; it's just that this story got me wondering about this question.

Is there any level of deceit which would render consent to sex null and void? Or is it the case that no matter what I find out later, if I consented at the time of the act then that consent is valid?
  • Options
    A twin brother having sex with his brothers girlfriend? That's surely highly deceitful.
  • Options
    Yeah that's the kind of example I was thinking of. Similarly, if someone got into bed with me when it was dark, and deceived me into thinking it was my partner and so I consented to sex, I think that would be rape.

It's interesting. Because I definitely think if you lie about all aspects of your identity, claim to be all sorts of things that you aren't, to have sex with someone, then that shouldn't be classed as rape. But if you pretend to be a specific other person, then I think that should be rape. But in reality, the differences between the two cases aren't that great.
  • Options

From what I've heard in Israel, yes and at least one other person has been found guilty of doing so.
    In 2008, the High Court of Justice set a precedent on rape by deception, rejecting an appeal of the rape conviction by Zvi Sleiman, who impersonated a senior official in the Housing Ministry whose wife worked in the National Insurance Institute. Sleiman told women he would get them an apartment and increased NII payments if they would sleep with him.

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/jurists-say-arab-s-rape-conviction-sets-dangerous-precedent-1.303109

Now personally it seems a stupid law, but the story may not be as clear cut as the Guardian presents, given that the prosecution is based on legal precedent
  • Options
    Imo, cheating on a partner is worse than this 'crime'. Both involves telling lies, but more people end up hurt in multiple timing than in this scenario.
  • Options
    A twin brother having sex with his brothers girlfriend? That's surely highly deceitful.

That type of deceitful sex is illegal in the UK.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2003/ukpga_20030042_en_1