Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Aghhh!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, i've just finished my first week as a housekeeper at a hospital so i'm basically cleaning and taking the food round on the ward i work on, in all honesty, its a shit job, pays not amazing and its dull as fuck.

Last 2 days have been shit, working the weekend, getting up at 6am and the being told that my coffee making skills are shit and that i must have been sent by god to punish the women that said that to me... and then while cleaning today hearing constant moans for one man wishing that he would die and when i made to clean his room he asked me to kill him, i told the nurses this and they said not to worry but it shook me up.

Part of the reason i hate it so much is that the older paticants remind me of my grandparents towards the end which is a period that i don't want to be my residing memory of them and its just screwing me around. So i've decided i would like to had my notice in (ie quit) but i'm not entirely sure who i give it to, the agency that i work for (I'm temping atm) or my boss at the hospital, anyone have any experince in this sort of thing, i just wanna get out of there asap tbh, its something that i don't wanna do

Comments

• Options
    that does sound really rough. i just wanted to ask, are these complaints coming from the patients or your colleagues? in both instances really, i would speak to your line manager or whoever is in charge of you. if the patients are particularly difficult then perhaps they could give you some training to deal with it and respond to these complaints. if your colleagues are complaining then it's your line manager's duty really to give you feedback on how you're doing.
  • Options
    Heya,

Sorry to hear your job is so rubbish! If you're temping then you are employed by the agency, so I think you need to hand your notice in to them and it is down to them to inform your place of work that you will be leaving.
  • Options
    clem, its from one single paitent, not sure if i put that down properly but she seems to believe that i'm a punishment from god for her sins (her words not mine) and finds faults with everything i do, for instance, i made her a coffee exactly the way my manager showed me (because you have to make it in a stupid way...) and she complained to me, so i asked my manager to make her one and she did it exactly the same (I watched) and low and behold no fucking complaints so yeah, not entirely sure what to do about that but hopefully she'll be out soon because she seems to be on the mend

Both of you, thanks, i leave it a few days to see if it improves but i somehow doubt it
  • Options
    maybe just put her down as one eccentric woman, if a bit rude.

i dont know what type of hospital you're in but as my dad's condition worsened he became a bit of a handful for the nurses. i think sometimes a lot of patients who once led independent lives can become pretty hostile at having to rely on other people to look after them. it's tricky but i would take what the woman says with a pinch of salt. but i would def chase up speaking to someone to arrange more training. there must be tons of courses for those working in hopsitals because it is a really, really tough job. kudos for doing it!
  • Options
    I thought that's why we had immigrants ...to do these shit jobs.
  • Options
    well...i am indian...:P
    I'm sure that i'm quiting now, just got off the phone to the agency asking them to find me another job asap
    What makes today so shit is that i was shown the wrong rota, last weeks one in fact and i had today off, i went in for 7 to be told why am i in, i'm not working, so i started to go home and then was told to stay doing nothing and then have to stay in until 11, ITS MY FUCKING DAY OFF! why did they make me stay, at max they need 3 staff for a ward, including me there were 5 ffs
    I'm chucking it in asap