Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Who is the man in Titanic?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Towards the end when the ships sinking theres a man who jumps in a lifeboat when he's not supposed to. One of the crew sees him but lets the boat down anyway.

He's got a longish face, moustache and i think is involved in the crew or first class or somthing cos he's seen in some of the first class scenes. Anyone know who he is, its really bugging me
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Found it:

Joseph Bruce Ismay: Ismay is portrayed as an ignorant first-class rich man. In the film, he uses his position as White Star Line managing director to influence Captain Smith to go faster with the prospect of an earlier arrival in New York and favorable press attention. After the collision, he struggles to comprehend that his "unsinkable" ship is doomed, later sneaking on board a lifeboat to escape.

Apparently his actions haunted him for the rest of his life. Tut tut
  • Options
    Why??
  • Options
    Dunno, was watching it and wondered who he was and why he was allowed to stay in the boat
  • Options
    Ah I thought you meant you wanted to know who the actor was.
  • Options
    Whenever I see Titanic I want to stab him.
  • Options
    I quite like the film. If I watch it, I sort of ignore the whole Rose + Jack story and look at the little things going on in the background :p
  • Options
    I quite like the film. If I watch it, I sort of ignore the whole Rose + Jack story and look at the little things going on in the background :p

The little things like the boat sinking?
  • Options
    ...Rose + Jack ...

Forgot about them. Don't like them either.
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote: »
    The little things like the boat sinking?

Welll yeahhhhhhh :rolleyes:

Nah, but I like boats/vessels and I find the history of the Titanic quite interesting.... so although the film obviously isn't a fully accurate historical representation, its a good watch.
  • Options
    Oh and Lexi... from here
    The myths surrounding Ismay are many but almost all centre on allegations of his cowardice in escaping the sinking ship whilst fellow passengers, notably women and children, were left to fend for themselves. The claims made at the time and repeated today were that he 'saved his own skin' whilst others died.

In reality Ismay helped with loading and lowering several lifeboats and acquitted himself better than many of the crew and passengers. He only entered a lifeboat when it was actually being lowered and no other passengers were in the vicinity. Some witnesses stated he was ordered into the lifeboat but, whatever happened, Lord Mersey said at the British enquiry into the loss of Titanic, 'Had he not jumped in he would simply have added one more life, namely his own, to the number of those lost'.
  • Options
    Oh and Lexi... from here

Fair enough. Like you say its not an accurate representation, just dramatised to attract audiences. Still love it tho
  • Options
    If you want a more accurate version (not in technicalities, but in the personalities and events) watch A Night to Remember - it's based on a book written by someone who interviewed various survivors.
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    Fair enough. Like you say its not an accurate representation, just dramatised to attract audiences. Still love it tho

Or showing Hollywood's irritating tendancy for depicting every single British person as sheer unmitigated evil.
  • Options
    Or showing Hollywood's irritating tendancy for depicting every single British person as sheer unmitigated evil.

Except British decipitions tend to present Ismay in the same light. He was an unmitigated nuisance running around trying to order the crew to do things, luckily they ignored him and didn't overload boats or launch before ready. It seems as the reality hit him his nerve however broke and he got into a lifeboat, the crew - probably glad to see the back of him - let him go. I think the BBC article is being unduly kind (he wasn't on the side where the boats were being lowered empty due to lack of passengers, but on the other side where there were plenty)