Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

do you believe in the law of attraction?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If so, why?

Comments

• Options
    What is the law of attraction?
  • Options
  • Options
    wtf? no!
  • Options
    why not?
  • Options
    kira wrote: »
    why not?

I would have bet my next pay cheque on that being your response to katralla.

And no, I don't believe in it either, for the following reason (taken verbatim from the wikipedia entry):
    The claims of the Law of Attraction are unsupported by scientific evidence, and violate the scientific principles and understanding of the universe.
  • Options
    No. You actually have to take action and work towards getting results, thinking about them doesn't work! Do you?
  • Options
    jamelia wrote: »
    I would have bet my next pay cheque on that being your response to katralla.

And no, I don't believe in it either, for the following reason (taken verbatim from the wikipedia entry):

I understand our thoughts create our reality, so in that sense it's true.
  • Options

I see where you're coming from, you think 'I want that' so you set about getting that, however, just pure thoughts which this is based on doesn't get you those results.
  • Options

You're conflating concepts. There's a difference between how our brains interpret our sensory experiences, and crazy-Noel-Edumunds-asking-the universe-for-his-own-TV-show-and-a-boat.
  • Options

You thoughts might create your 'reality', in the sense that they are the means by which you interpret the external world and are the filter through which you make sense of your perceptions of the external world.

But in no way do they create, or have any impact whatsoever, on the external world. As squeal says, only action can do that.

Believing in the Law of Attraction is a form of cognitive bias, similar in important respects to the Just World fallacy.
  • Options
    You thoughts might create your 'reality', in the sense that they are the means by which you interpret the external world and are the filter through which you make sense of your perceptions of the external world.

But in no way do they create, or have any impact whatsoever, on the external world. As squeal says, only action can do that.

Believing in the Law of Attraction is a form of cognitive bias, similar in important respects to the Just World fallacy.

Lots of things exist without hard scientific evidence to support them.

It may seem simplistic, but I think there may be some truth in it.
  • Options
    Lots of things exist without hard scientific evidence to support them.

It may seem simplistic, but I think there may be some truth in it.

Ok, well feel free to continue believing in it then.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Deffo one for politics... moving it there!
  • Options
    And to me thinking that a victim deserves any abuse/matreatment is cold and sociopathic. :no: (well, this is what I have read from the wikipedia link you posted)
  • Options
    The law of attraction is very similar in many respects to belief in the Just World phenomenon. I wasn't implying that you think that victims of abuse or suffering deserve their suffering; only that they are structurally similar forms of cognitive bias.

The law of attraction tells us that every aspect of our lives is under our control; that people are ultimately responsible for how their lives turn out. If you don't get what you wanted in life then you weren't trying hard enough; you didn't ask the universe clearly enough to give you what you wanted; you weren't sufficiently open to receiving it.

That way, if you are poor, hungry, in pain - well, ultimately you're to blame. If only you had wished hard enough and in the right way, the universe would have answered to your every desire - it must be true, for this is what the "law" of attraction dictates!

This is clearly nonsense. It is similar though to the idea that the world is inherently or innately just - so that whatever happens to you, ultimately you are responsible, because the world is always fair.

Both ideas are bollocks. But it's a way of allowing us all off the hook when we're faced with people in need or who are suffering, because we can assume they must somehow be responsible for their fate. And that's why it's so cognitively appealing, although false. Rich people always want to believe that they are rich and successful because of something they did, that they are responsible for; and that the poor are poor because of their own failings, and not brute luck.

It's bollocks.
  • Options
    Mumbo jumbo I'm afraid.
  • Options
    The law of attraction is very similar in many respects to belief in the Just World phenomenon. I wasn't implying that you think that victims of abuse or suffering deserve their suffering; only that they are structurally similar forms of cognitive bias.

The law of attraction tells us that every aspect of our lives is under our control; that people are ultimately responsible for how their lives turn out. If you don't get what you wanted in life then you weren't trying hard enough; you didn't ask the universe clearly enough to give you what you wanted; you weren't sufficiently open to receiving it.

That way, if you are poor, hungry, in pain - well, ultimately you're to blame. If only you had wished hard enough and in the right way, the universe would have answered to your every desire - it must be true, for this is what the "law" of attraction dictates!

This is clearly nonsense. It is similar though to the idea that the world is inherently or innately just - so that whatever happens to you, ultimately you are responsible, because the world is always fair.

Both ideas are bollocks. But it's a way of allowing us all off the hook when we're faced with people in need or who are suffering, because we can assume they must somehow be responsible for their fate. And that's why it's so cognitively appealing, although false. Rich people always want to believe that they are rich and successful because of something they did, that they are responsible for; and that the poor are poor because of their own failings, and not brute luck.

It's bollocks.

We are responsible. Yet I agree there is also luck, good fortune and default.

But taking responsibility is healthy, few would disagree with that.
  • Options
    What a load of old bollocks.
  • Options
    We are responsible. Yet I agree there is also luck, good fortune and default.

You agree there is chance, chance, and ... what?
  • Options
    What I really want to know is whether people say that people can be lucky.
  • Options
    Well some things come to us just is. If a person is born into a wealthy family, or born a 10 in looks, then this is "just is" and hence default.
  • Options
    The Law of Attraction?

bullshit_detector.gif
  • Options
    What I really want to know is whether people say that people can be lucky.

Sure. If you were to win the lottery I'd say you'd been lucky. You've benefited from a statistically improbable outcome.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    What is the law of attraction?

If life is that easy, why the hell do I have to work for a living?