Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Rock Climbing and Being Overweight

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
For a while I have wanted to go rock climbing, but never had the confidence. Yet since the beginning of April I have been going to the gym and loving it.

I'm around two stone over what is considered to be my healthy BMI (I weigh around twelve stone, but I eat a healthy diet, am frequenting the gym and losing this weight), though I don't think I am terribly unfit... For example, I can jog almost two miles and walk to work most days (1.7 miles) all fine.

In other words, I have made a lot of changes to my lifestyle in order to get in to shape and I feel this has opened new doors in self-esteem, better mental health and fitness. :yes:

I'd like to try climbing, but have been told that you have to be thin to do it, or very physically strong. That you rarely see big people climbing due to the nature of the sport...

I am adventurous and willing to give it a go, but also wondering if maybe I should lose a stone or two before I try it. Because I have co-ordination and learning difficulties, I have had a lot of knock backs in the past and will be embarrassed if I am too fat to climb!

Any advice?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    It is nonsence that you have to be thin to climb.

My ideal weight is supposed to be around 9stone 2lb and I currently weight around 15 stone. MY bf is 18 stone but is 6ft 4inches and we both climb quite frequently both indoors and outdoors. It is an excellent physical activity that you can really feel working everywhere!

Thinking about it, I have just remembered a climbing instructor we used to have who was over 25 stone! It is a physically demanding activity but it is good fun and an excellent work out and challenge!
  • Options
    The way you get physically strong if you do rock climbing, is rock climbing.

There are several overweight people I can think of that climb with me, don't worry, you'll be allowed to climb :)
  • Options
    Im supposed to be 12 stone, but im 14 stone. I do the odd bit of climbing and enjoy it.
  • Options
    Brian Blessed, Everest.
  • Options
    Being strong in relation to your weight is always an advantage, of course, but I know several people who've had no trouble climbing despite being quite a bit overweight. The only thing you have to be careful of is having a really light person holding the rope for a really heavy person. If you're not careful, you'll fall down, and they'll go flying up. :d

Although I'd just point out that Everest isn't rock climbing, it's hiking. As are the likes of Aconcagua and Kilimanjaro.

Give it a go on the indoor climbing wall first, and find someone who knows what they're doing or owns all the kit.
  • Options
    i think if your fit your weight shouldn't matter that much.
  • Options
    I am hoping to start lessons soon
  • Options
    Rockclimbing

I am big into my climbing and have been for some time. The great thing about rock climbing is there are routes for all levels from the beginner to the very advanced. aht many do not realise is that most climbs require more leg strength than arm strength.

Go give it a go and let us know how it goes, I would start of indoors bouldering first to get your technique down.
This discussion has been closed.