Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Suit for a job interview

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well I finally have a job interview - hooray! - and now I need to buy something to wear for it. I am thinking the more formal the better, and so want to buy a suit of some description. But these can easily be frumpy or unattractive, and I want to also look nice in it too.

Anyone any ideas where I can find such a thing as a stylish and attractive power suit, that isn't crazily expensive?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You tried the high street? I bought a gorgeous pair of smart trousers from Next the other day which had a matching jacket (which I didn't buy). They have loads of different styles and there was one with a matching waistcoat which I loved but couldn't justify just for an agency interview.
    I've got one from Dorothy Perkins.
    I got a really nice suit from Zara a few years back. I had a problem in that I'm quite small, so most suits make me look either like I'm dressing up in my mum's clothes or like I'm going to an 80s power-dressing fancy dress party, but this one is well-tailored and flattering and wasn't megabucks either.

Good luck with the interview, btw!
    Kaff wrote: »
    I got a really nice suit from Zara

:yes: Zara are great; their stuff is affordable but very elegant so shouldn't make you look like a frump.

How about a high-waisted trouser, short-sleeved shirt and waistcoat rather than a full-on suit? Much more summery, nice tailored lines, light and airy but still very smart.
    Thanks all! Loads of great ideas. I like the idea of a dress Louise, but I haven't got great legs, so generally prefer to keep them covered up if I can. And I love the short sleeved shirt and waistcoat idea Butterflykisses, but given the type of place I'm going for interview and the kind of people on the panel, I think I should keep it safer and more traditional!

I haven't tried anywhere yet - been too busy preparing for the presentation I have to give at the interview :nervous: - but will check out those places at the weekend.

Zara seems like a great idea, because their stuff is always stylish. I was thinking of the usual M&S and Next suspects, but they are so hit and miss - their stuff can be great, but frequently falls just the wrong side of classic and into frumpy.
    jamelia wrote: »
    Anyone any ideas where I can find such a thing as a stylish and attractive power suit, that isn't crazily expensive?

Remember, the shoulder pads can never be too big. The bigger the pads the bigger the power!
    Remember, the shoulder pads can never be too big. The bigger the pads the bigger the power!

Awesome idea! And of course, I'll need some insanely high and pointy stilettos, and lots of blue eyeshadow.
    Awesome idea! And of course, I'll need some insanely high and pointy stilettos, and lots of blue eyeshadow.

You've got this job in the bag.

I hope you've started backcombing already.....
    Warehouse suits are quite fitted if you're on the smaller side. Zara also look sharp and professional!
    I like Next although I find suits don't suit me AT ALL. Either trousers or skirts. Don't know why, maybe because like Kaff I'm quite small. Not sure, suits always look very odd on me, though.