Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

New contraception tool

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
FAO: mods, don't know if this is best here or in Health, so please move if you think it's better over there.

Just thought it would be handy for people to know that there's a tool made by the fpa to help decide which method of contraception is best for you. I've been umming and aahing about going back on the pill after 2 years on the coil, and found it really useful. There are lots of quizzes etc. on the net about deciding on contraception, but this is the only one I found particularly realistic and useful.

It's at http://www.brook.org.uk/contraception/my-contraception-tool/start-my-contraception-tool

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That's really good :)
    it suggested i use the contraceptive implant, which i wont be doing, especially since ive said i dont want depression, weight gain, depression etc, all of which i get with hormonal contraceptive.
    I have the coil and am very happy with it, but mainly i want my o/h to get the snip.
    It suggested the implant which I have already. Would've been useful to have had this a couple of years ago when I was younger and starting to decide what I wanted to use.
    I favour the 'Pull Out When You're Starting to Hit the Vinegar Strokes' method.
    Recommnded the implant for me as well which im gonna think about getting. Although the pill works so well for me, i dont want anything messing it up
    I have the coil and am very happy with it, but mainly i want my o/h to get the snip.

He should. It's pretty much painless and available on the NHS is most areas.
    I had my implant changed yesterday. Ouch!
    Useful link :yes:

It suggested the IUS for me, which I was actually planning to go get once my uterus has forgiven me for the whole birthing incident!
    Ohh this is quite good!...I've just had my Implant removed as it made me feel like crap and pile on weight same with the pill. This said I would suit an IUD...I have thought about this in the past but just a little scared about having it and the thought of it hurting when they put it in. Yes I am a massive wimp :crying:
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    FAO: mods, don't know if this is best here or in Health, so please move if you think it's better over there.

Just thought it would be handy for people to know that there's a tool made by the fpa to help decide which method of contraception is best for you. I've been umming and aahing about going back on the pill after 2 years on the coil, and found it really useful. There are lots of quizzes etc. on the net about deciding on contraception, but this is the only one I found particularly realistic and useful.

It's at http://www.brook.org.uk/contraception/my-contraception-tool/start-my-contraception-tool

Ace :thumb:
    Kaff wrote: »
    Useful link :yes:

It suggested the IUS for me, which I was actually planning to go get once my uterus has forgiven me for the whole birthing incident!

i got my IUD put in at about 9 or 10 weeks after birth. The womb needs a bit of time to get back to normal before they do it, but they wont do it earlier than that. Some say wait 12 weeks
    i got my IUD put in at about 9 or 10 weeks after birth. The womb needs a bit of time to get back to normal before they do it, but they wont do it earlier than that. Some say wait 12 weeks

I wondered if it might be longer as well cause I had the section? Don't want it to break owt inside! Planning to ask my doc about it at my 6 week check, anyhoo (which is actually at 8 weeks - god bless the NHS!).
    as long as youve got something sorted in the meantime. I fell pregnant with Anais when Felix was only 3mths old and i was still exclusively breastfeeding! A lot of people are super fertile after having a baby.
    I fell pregnant with Anais when Felix was only 3mths old and i was still exclusively breastfeeding!

I absolutely :heart: your children's names! Gorgeous gorgeousness!
    why thankyou :D