Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

School and text talk.

124»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kaff wrote: »
    :lol:

Awesome. If you'd have just put a comma before 'motherfuckers', I may be e-mounting you right now. But let's not go there :p

On a more general point, there is a clear difference between language evolving and language being corrupted. Adding the word 'googling' to the OED or using the word 'text' as a verb is evolution. Using a '2' because you find it so much effort to write a two letter word is not.
    This x a million. Especially the part about the comma :p.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    English is itself a bastard language. It borrows heavily from languages that are prevalent in countries mostly invaded by England over the last few hundred years.

Then again I wasn't expecting a Blunkett Bobby to know that. :p

Of course I know English is a bastard language, with it's main roots in the Germanic and Nordic (which incidentally is why English people often find it easier to learn German and Northern European languages instead of the "Romance languages" of Southern Europe.

All the contibutions peoples have made over the years though have been quickly assimilated and have often improved the language.

Even more recently with most slang it's fairly easy to work out the meaning. Most text talk or "gangsta" speak on myspace pages however is totally artificial. Either words have been totally made up out of thin air, or existing English words have been converted into an unintelligible mess.

As I said before, use it in conversation if you must, and if you don't mind everyone's opinion of you being slightly negative.

I maybe a "Blunkett Bobby" but I did A-level English Language albeit a long time ago, cheeky bastard :p
    Kira, do countries exist?

Yes they do. Why do you ask?
    kira wrote: »
    I stand that a dislike of text talk is just hankering back to the good old days, when it's normal for language to evolve.

This is not an evolution of language. It is a de-evolution, a crippeling. A language should be understand by anyone. Text talk does have no unambiguous shortening of words, sometimes it's like this, sometimes like that. Nobody can "talk" text speak, you can only write it. So it is not an evolution of an language. It is just useful to save characters in a text, hence "text talk". Stop clinging to a sinking boat, this trainwreck of an encryption is not the transition of a language. period.
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    This is not an evolution of language. It is a de-evolution, a crippeling. A language should be understand by anyone. Text talk does have no unambiguous shortening of words, sometimes it's like this, sometimes like that. Nobody can "talk" text speak, you can only write it. So it is not an evolution of an language. It is just useful to save characters in a text, hence "text talk". Stop clinging to a sinking boat, this trainwreck of an encryption is not the transition of a language. period.

I don't understand Bengali. It doesn't mean it's an invalid language. I only would understand if I learnt it. Saying then that one must understand a language immediately is silliness.

Not all languages are spoken, and not all languages are designed for speech. As stated, the mere fact that millions of persons use and understand text talk is proof that it meets the definition of language.

I still stand that it's fuddy-duddiness and hankering to some lost age that causes dislike of text talk.
    kira wrote: »

I still stand that it's fuddy-duddiness and hankering to some lost age that causes dislike of text talk.

No, it's a desire to be able to understand someone who is talking to you. If someone tries to write to me or communicate with me then they need to put the effort in if they want to be understood and communicated with.

I'm afraid (and I'm probably not alone in this) that people who insist on using text speak and other slang in written/spoken conversation are looked down upon. Simply because it shows they are lazy. Why waste the effort listening to someone who is unwilling or unable to put any effort into communicating with me?
    For me a language has to have some sorts of aesthetics too. It should not be JUST practical (which is text talk only in texts, in my opinion.) Other than that it is just strenuous. It hardly saves time typing and needs to be encoded, because there is no fixed vocabulary.

It is an unnecessary spleen, a sublanguage if you will, for peers who enjoy it for WHATEVER reasons, because there is just no advantage. The rest is just pissed off by it.

And aimed at your Bengali riposte. Of course I was referring to languages you already speak. It might have not been clear, but I guess obvious enough.

A language is a bit more than just words and letter in the right context. There is a flow in reading, since you cannot pronounce "tlk" for example the reading flow is constantly interrupted which makes it exhausting to decipher.

I raelly lkie tihs eaxmlpe bset. Jsut swtich the ltertes in a wrod, ecxpet the fsrit and the lsat, and you can still read it fluently. This is reading. This is a trait of a language. Text talk is a code. I needs thinking. You can be better at it, of course, like knowing what 6x7 is just by looking without calculating, but it is still unpractical at best. And not at all a evolution of the english language.
    I see no issue with text talk since it is readily understood by a number of people.

Saying that you don't understand it, well few can pick up a new language immediately.
    In terms of this thread, I suggest you stick to plain English. It is easier for everyone to read.

I have no idea what "g clippings" are.

An "abbreviation" is just a shortened word. For example, when you take out the vowels (a,e,i,o,u) to save space, or just use the sound of the word, e.g. l8r for later, u for you, etc. Most abbreviations are easily understood, as the brain is capable of deciphering even quite long passages of misspelled text, as long as the first and last letters are in the right place. Here is a piece that has been circulating on email for ages.

Can you raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm.

For some of us, the problem with text talk is that it is no longer just abbreviated English. Some words are being deliberately and, in my view, childishly, misspelled to the extent that there is a danger that future generations may never learn to spell correctly. Unfortunately, whatever you might think about the evolution of language, people who are unable to express themselves in standard English are likely to be disadvantaged both in education and in employment.

found out what g clipping are took me ages *yawn* its when you nock of the g from ends of words such as cummin and goin
    Im going to fail this its to hard, I don't want to do it again I'm gonna get the same grade still. it's impossible I will fail and be laughed at for the rest of my life.
    why is this so hard why isnt what ive done ok i hate this assesment im actually pathetic at text talk no wonder i got laughed at wen i asked what lol and rofl and psml was in class but i still dont know what psml is though hmm

i hate this it bull crap i dont want to do it and the teacher cant make me can she
    Im going to fail this its to hard, I don't want to do it again I'm gonna get the same grade still. it's impossible I will fail and be laughed at for the rest of my life.
    why is this so hard why isnt what ive done ok i hate this assesment im actually pathetic at text talk no wonder i got laughed at wen i asked what lol and rofl and psml was in class but i still dont know what psml is though hmm

i hate this it bull crap i dont want to do it and the teacher cant make me can she

1) It's a single assignment. It doesn't matter if you fail, and you will not be laughed at for the rest of your life.

2) You seem to know text talk irritatingly well judging by some of your other posts. Is there someone else using your account?

3) Check out Urban Dictionary for 'translations.'

4) Here is a dictionary for you to use.

5) Yes, your teacher can make you do it.

6) It's a ridiculous assignment. You are ten, you shouldn't even have a mobile phone.
    grace wrote: »
    1) It's a single assignment. It doesn't matter if you fail, and you will not be laughed at for the rest of your life.

2) You seem to know text talk irritatingly well judging by some of your other posts. Is there someone else using your account?

3) Check out Urban Dictionary for 'translations.'

4) Here is a dictionary for you to use.

5) Yes, your teacher can make you do it.

6) It's a ridiculous assignment. You are ten, you shouldn't even have a mobile phone.

i dont have a mibile phone i get that when i am 16 father had said nobody else is using my dictionary it because i get my sister to type for me some times because i find it a timy bit difficult because if the keyboardand it takes me for ever and she helps me eith the spelling to
    i dont have a mibile phone i get that when i am 16 father had said nobody else is using my dictionary it because i get my sister to type for me some times because i find it a timy bit difficult because if the keyboardand it takes me for ever and she helps me eith the spelling to

I'm assuming you have access to computer facilities at school. Try and do it at your lunch break or something. I'm sure a teacher would be only too happy to help with the typing, or why don't you handwrite it?
    grace wrote: »
    I'm assuming you have access to computer facilities at school. Try and do it at your lunch break or something. I'm sure a teacher would be only too happy to help with the typing, or why don't you handwrite it?

everybody else fast types though im like the only one taking house to write one word because i search for the letter and im scared of my school teaher by the way im getting my sister to type fo me because she does it quick really quick with out looking down at the keyboard
    Oh I had to do that test got a B you do it in year 9 in english part of the keys stage right.

and learn to type fast if you cant!
    0c0dfee9-7797-4e13-bfc8-d1fa31f42d19.jpg