Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Lump in menstrual blood - graphic!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If you easily squicked out, don't read on!

I'm on the coil and have been suffering with particularly heavy and painful periods since I went on it. Normally, I get agonising, shooting cramps for the first day and then they go away.

I came on about three days ago and since then have had particularly painful cramps on and off the entire time. Each 'wave' of craps has also lasted longer than usual.

Then yesterday evening I went to the toilet and noticed that on my tissue there was a fleshy lump. It's about 2cm in diameter and it's quite firm (yes, I poked it) and doesn't break apart.

It's definitely not a blood clot..... but what the hell is it? I've looked on the net and the info I've found seems to indicate a 50/50 chance of either very early miscarriage or a piece of my uterus falling out. Anybody have any enlightening ideas?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Eeek!

I am not normally squeamish about such things, but I have to say your description of it as chopped liver did make me a bit :nervous:

I suggest a trip back to the doctor.
    Haha - sorry Jamelia! Made me a bit that way too!
    jamelia wrote: »
    Eeek!

I am not normally squeamish about such things, but I have to say your description of it as chopped liver did make me a bit :nervous:

I suggest a trip back to the doctor.

Having just Googled chopped liver, I now take that statement back entirely. Chopped liver doesn't look like what I thought it looked like. I made it up.

It's smooth on the outside, not like chopped liver at all.
    i had that once and i assumed it was probably an early miscarriage
    i had that once and i assumed it was probably an early miscarriage

I agree
    Well, I went to the doctors today and we did a pregnancy test. Apparently the levels of pregnancy hormone in my system were quite high, indicating that it was a very early miscarriage. He said that my boyfriend basically has some very strong swimmers, which means I have to go back to them to see about a different means of contraception.

Am a little bit shaken up, which is odd - I didn't know I was pregnant, so I didn't have any connection to it...... so why on earth am I feeling emotional about it?
    *hug* I'd feel emotional too. Not knowing about it doesnt make it any less sadder for you. Hope you're alright Butterfly.
    you might be feeling emotional as a miscarriage will cause a hormone crash
  • luc_bluc_b Posts: 45 Boards Initiate
    Hi Butterflykisses

This can't be an easy thing to deal with, especially when it was so unexpected. But as clemintine the tangerine says, it's totally understandable that you're feeling emotional about it. Going to the doctors was a brave move - sometimes ignoring a problem is the easiest option, but facing it head on was a positive move to make.

Hopefully this article on TheSite.org will be helpful - it talks about miscarriage and why it happens. If you want to talk to someone directly about what you're going through, you can always call the Samaritans on 08457 90 90 90.

Big hugs and do keep posting :)
    it might be worth trying the mirena instead if the thought of this happening again is too much.
    For what its worth, I was on the coil when it happened to me too, and still am, and its never happened again in several years.