Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Due for Crown Court 12th July! - Advice...

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Avizandum wrote: »
    If you appeal against your conviction and are successful it is as if you were never convicted in the first place.

As this is your first offence and you are of good character you could probably expect a high level community sentence (community service close to the 300 hour max) or maybe a suspended prison sentence. I suspect that a fine on its own will not be an option the judge is considering (but then again, sentence is a matter for the presiding judge alone so one really shouldn't speculate too much).

You will probably be assessed for your potential to reoffend and this will be taken into consideration also. Having a job or a place on a college course or training programme would go in your favour.

However, you have been convicted of a serious violent offence (granted not as serious as a section 18, GBH with intent or murder, but serious none-the-less) in the Crown Court and should be expecting a sentence to reflect that.

If I appeal against my conviction and isn't successful, what would happen then?

I will be enrolling in september into college, should i inform my solicitors?

And just 1 other general question;

What is the difficulty getting a job now with gbh on my criminal record:confused:

kirsty06 wrote: »
    sorry to hear that outcome.:no: Not cool! that sucks. you can appeal its your right. speak to you solicitor and see what they say is the best move. hope it goes better if you do appeal!

It really does suck and I guess I have to live with it and take it on the chin. It will be one of those things that hang on your shoulders throughout and the worst thing is, is that I know it was accidental :crying:
    If you lose your appeal then you remain convicted of the crime and any sentence passed with remain.

Yes, you should inform your solicitor that you are due to start college in September (including the course and college).

Getting a job is difficult in this climate for anyone, but having a criminal conviction for GBH will make it harder, no point in not being honest with you.
    If you lose your appeal then you remain convicted of the crime and any sentence passed with remain.

Yes, you should inform your solicitor that you are due to start college in September (including the course and college).

Getting a job is difficult in this climate for anyone, but having a criminal conviction for GBH will make it harder, no point in not being honest with you.

Not at all Avizandum, I admire your honesty, there really isn't worth frontin'.

So appealing to my conviction is worth a try I guess? because I heard that if I appeal against my sentence, I may receive worst than the sentence already given?
    Yes, if you appeal against sentence they may increase it. Your Solicitor will be better placed to advise you if you have a case to appeal your conviction
    Yes, if you appeal against sentence they may increase it. Your Solicitor will be better placed to advise you if you have a case to appeal your conviction

Ok,

Thank you so much for all your help Avizandum.

Just one last question;

I'm now waiting on my probaition officer to contact me, how should I be towards them? Apparently they inform/advise the judge what sort of sentence I should face?
    Be totally open and honest with them. Their report will help the judge determine what sort of sentence to give and will make a reccomendation as to whether they think a community penalty would be suitable for you or not.
    Do all you can to create a good impression with probation. Your lucky that you don't have any previous as this should mean that you don't get prison. I'd say try and get references from college, work to say that you are a good guy and that this was a one off incident. I think that they see it as good if you accept that you did wrong.

I was up on the same charge and ended up getting 12 months. I don't want to make you worry because my situation was different - I had 3 previous convictions and had already got Community Payback. But it is a serious charge and there's always a chance that the judge will want to make an example of you. Like you say the fact that it went to Crown Court means that they saw it as serious enough.

The job situation is bad right now so trying to get something decent with a GBH conviction would be hard. I think that you could have a problem getting in to the Fire Service as they do major background checks being an emergency service. I have only had really crap jobs since being in prison. But having a prison record is much worse than just having a criminal record. It's unfair because in a way you've been punished more but it means a big gap on your CV.

Best of luck with what your going through and hope you get a good result