Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Punk Thread

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm currently loving Star Fucking Hipsters (is it wrong to find the female lead hot? :blush: )

I also like ska punk, some of the anarcho punk, old school, Riot Grrrl and anything else skank-worthy and fierce.

Does anybody else enjoy punk music?

What are your favourite subgenres of punk?

Plus post links to awesome songs on this thread!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Old school punk, like the sex pistols :)
    Xx
  • Options
    Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables
    Dropkick Murphys - Sing Loud, Sing Proud

I might get flamed by the punk fanboys, but,

Misfits - Famous Monsters
  • Options
    Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables
    Dropkick Murphys - Sing Loud, Sing Proud

:thumb:
    Xx
  • Options
    Some good ska punk;

Bad Manners
    Leningrad (Russian band). Check out their songs WWW and Menya Zovut Shnur on YouTube. Both have awesome videos.
  • Options
    the obvious: Anti-flag, Rise against, bad religon

can't forget Blink 182 and plus 44

Also, NoFx, Millencolin, Sum 41 (:D) rancid
    also, DROPKICK MURPHEYS ARE AWESOME
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Bad Religion, Rise Against, Dropkicks, Rancid, Less than Jake, lots of others in that vein.

Absolutely despise "Riot Grrl" as it all sounds like middle class girls spending all of daddys' money moaning about how no one really gets all the struggles they've had to go through.
  • Options
    Anti-flag :yes:
  • Options
    Dr Pirate wrote: »
    Bad Religion, Rise Against, Dropkicks, Rancid, Less than Jake, lots of others in that vein.

Absolutely despise "Riot Grrl" as it all sounds like middle class girls spending all of daddys' money moaning about how no one really gets all the struggles they've had to go through.
    I like Riot Grrrl in that it was good to see women involved with punk music, in that it did address issues such as rape and sexual abuse and that it was an extremely pro-gay rights movement. I can see why it doesn't appeal as it was really angsty... It was a vent for women who had experienced abuse, or sexism and who had the resources to form bands at the time and be educated (i.e. middle class).

I think it took them some guts.

I feel that it was relative to the time... However, I don't like all music of that subculture, for example Bitch and Animal (more like antifolk with Riot Grrrl attitude) who I thought took feminism too far.

Personally, I'd love to see more women in punk.

I think Joan jett for example, is a legend! :D
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    I'm all for female fronted punk, Distillers for instance, are/were amazing. I just find Riot Grrrl to be too angsty for my liking.
  • Options
    I am old enough to remember when punk first came out so have seen many punk bands come and go.

Among the best ever punk bands I would say were the Vandals who formed in the early eighties. Here is their famous song 'The Legend of Pat Brown' played live in the 1984 film Suburbia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZVcXiUNhRE
    They have been one of the longest lasting punk bands too although today they are little more than a tribute band due to all their original members having long left.

By the way another great punk band who appeared in that film were T.S.O.L (true sounds of liberty) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyRmA5hwK-c