Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Dilemma, opinions please?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I decided I want to embark on the frustrating but exciting world of creative advertising, having studied a BA Hons degree in design previously. I looked at postgraduate courses and there's one that meets my needs which I was fortunate enough to be accepted on in June - the tuition fees are £3,500 and it's in a lovely city not too far from my hometown. However, it's a new course and the work looks a bit underwhelming.

On researching similar opportunities a bigger and better course has just reopened after a 15 year absence in pricey London. Very competitive to get into (though I've made it past the first round) and offers privileges such as a 6 month placement and an astonishing 6:1 tutor to student ratio from some of London's finest creatives. The tuition fees are an extortionate £3,500 per term but the website boast of available scholarships.

However, despite it's many assets, the 18 month opportunity is only categorised as a Level 4 within the National Qualifications Network, which pitches it somewhere between A-Levels and a degree. I have a degree! It's a deliberately intense, challenging and full-on course - I have no doubt I'd be in with a good chance of employment after it. However, given that I have a degree wouldn't it be a bit stupid to take a few steps back in my education rather than progress with a masters? Or would you argue that it doesn't matter about the classification of what you're studying so long as you're happy with the course?

Any input welcome!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    work placements sounds good in this job climate
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If 'going back' a few steps helps you take a few more forward, take it. Qualifications aren't everything anymore.